Scuba diver new to spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoastalTradition

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. Been lurking around here for a while. Great forum and I thank you all
for your help and knowledge with everything.

I dive primarily in gulf waters in Panama City Beach, primarily on wrecks and such
with the occasional trip to somewhere tropical (went to St Kitts this past Fall, and
West Palm in October). Trips to the keys are also planned, but the majority of dives
will be in PCB, florida.

Can you recommend a starter gun? I want to spend under $200.

(I know most will say spend the extra money and get a better gun that will last longer, but I really only have $200 budgeted, and I would like something new)

I was looking at the JBL 38 Special Woody (Seems I can get a new one for about $180 or so).

I tried joining up over at Spearboard, but its been a few days and I still can't post.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply! Do you know of a specific product within the Mako line that would fit into my budget and hunting grounds?

Hi everyone. Been lurking around here for a while. Great forum and I thank you all
for your help and knowledge with everything.

I dive primarily in gulf waters in Panama City Beach, primarily on wrecks and such
with the occasional trip to somewhere tropical (went to St Kitts this past Fall, and
West Palm in October). Trips to the keys are also planned, but the majority of dives
will be in PCB, florida.

Can you recommend a starter gun? I want to spend under $200.

(I know most will say spend the extra money and get a better gun that will last longer, but I really only have $200 budgeted, and I would like something new)

I was looking at the JBL 38 Special Woody (Seems I can get a new one for about $180 or so).

I tried joining up over at Spearboard, but its been a few days and I still can't post.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the kind words Akimbo!

MAKO offers a wide selection of gun models and lengths and options. For that area, you would probably be best served with a gun in the 100 or 110 cm size. We offer the MAKO Predator Pro line of guns which represent an incredible value. Each gun is hand made when the order is placed, the bands are hand tied when you place the order (so they are fresh) and we import hardened steel shafts from South Africa. We ARE in your price Range!!!!

Since we sell direct to consumers, with no domestic retail stores (except for our one "factory outlet/showroom" in Fredricksburg Virginia) we can sell without the typical retail mark up which you will find elsewhere. We offer a wide selections of options and we are happy to take some time on the phone to ensure that you select the options and gun that best fits your needs.

This link provides some very useful information about us, but also about speargun features that are importnat to consider.

Why Choose a MAKO Speargun (Railgun)?

mppr_exp.jpg

Go with Mako, you won't be disappointed!!

I hung up my spear guns a while ago but I was partial to Pneumatic Spear Guns. I have had many different types of guns but I really liked the Mares Pneumatic guns. You can google them and I am sure you can find something for right around 200.

Any pro's and con's for a tube gun over a wooden gun? I'm comparing everything to the JBL woody 38 right now.

And is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that with spearfishing comes sharks? I'm trying to convince my girlfriend, lol.

Another conclusion should be with spearfishing comes common sense! If you don't see sharks before you squeeze the trigger, get the victim out of the water as soon as you can! Or you may! Better safe than sorry! I enjoy spearfishing, and lobstering. Be safe and have fun, just remember to think.

The pneumatics are a little quicker to reload than a band gun I believe. With experience you learn restraint as to hold until the shot is sure. I've used both guns and prefer band for more power, but air for speed of reload

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom