Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scuba diver new to spearfishing

Registered

is heading to Lake Murray
    this weekend!

Dives
    0 - 24

Scuba diver new to spearfishing

Hi everyone. Been lurking around here for a while. Great forum and I thank you all
    for your help and knowledge with everything.

I dive primarily in gulf waters in Panama City Beach, primarily on wrecks and such
    with the occasional trip to somewhere tropical (went to St Kitts this past Fall, and
    West Palm in October). Trips to the keys are also planned, but the majority of dives
    will be in PCB, florida.

Can you recommend a starter gun? I want to spend under $200.

(I know most will say spend the extra money and get a better gun that will last longer, but I really only have $200 budgeted, and I would like something new)

I was looking at the JBL 38 Special Woody (Seems I can get a new one for about $180 or so).

I tried joining up over at Spearboard, but its been a few days and I still can't post.

Thanks in advance!

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    I am a huge fan of Mako. Excellent products, value, people, and customer service.

Registered

this weekend!

Dives
    0 - 24
    Thanks for your reply! Do you know of a specific product within the Mako line that would fit into my budget and hunting grounds?

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Call Dano at Mako, they can give far better advice than I can.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalTradition View Post
    Hi everyone. Been lurking around here for a while. Great forum and I thank you all
    for your help and knowledge with everything.

I dive primarily in gulf waters in Panama City Beach, primarily on wrecks and such
    with the occasional trip to somewhere tropical (went to St Kitts this past Fall, and
    West Palm in October). Trips to the keys are also planned, but the majority of dives
    will be in PCB, florida.

Can you recommend a starter gun? I want to spend under $200.

(I know most will say spend the extra money and get a better gun that will last longer, but I really only have $200 budgeted, and I would like something new)

I was looking at the JBL 38 Special Woody (Seems I can get a new one for about $180 or so).

I tried joining up over at Spearboard, but its been a few days and I still can't post.

Thanks in advance!
    Thanks for the kind words Akimbo!

MAKO offers a wide selection of gun models and lengths and options. For that area, you would probably be best served with a gun in the 100 or 110 cm size. We offer the MAKO Predator Pro line of guns which represent an incredible value. Each gun is hand made when the order is placed, the bands are hand tied when you place the order (so they are fresh) and we import hardened steel shafts from South Africa. We ARE in your price Range!!!!

Since we sell direct to consumers, with no domestic retail stores (except for our one "factory outlet/showroom" in Fredricksburg Virginia) we can sell without the typical retail mark up which you will find elsewhere. We offer a wide selections of options and we are happy to take some time on the phone to ensure that you select the options and gun that best fits your needs.

This link provides some very useful information about us, but also about speargun features that are importnat to consider.

Why Choose a MAKO Speargun (Railgun)?

Name:  mppr_exp.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  17.2 KB
    http://makospearguns.com/

Come see us on Facebook too!

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

Kill only what you eat... Eat only what you kill.

Registered

Advanced Nitrox

Dives
    500 - 999
    Go with Mako, you won't be disappointed!!

Master Instructor

Stateside for a couple of
    months

Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    I hung up my spear guns a while ago but I was partial to Pneumatic Spear Guns. I have had many different types of guns but I really liked the Mares Pneumatic guns. You can google them and I am sure you can find something for right around 200.
    Cheers,
    Roger

Registered

this weekend!

Dives
    0 - 24
    Any pro's and con's for a tube gun over a wooden gun? I'm comparing everything to the JBL woody 38 right now.

And is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that with spearfishing comes sharks? I'm trying to convince my girlfriend, lol.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Another conclusion should be with spearfishing comes common sense! If you don't see sharks before you squeeze the trigger, get the victim out of the water as soon as you can! Or you may! Better safe than sorry! I enjoy spearfishing, and lobstering. Be safe and have fun, just remember to think.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    The pneumatics are a little quicker to reload than a band gun I believe. With experience you learn restraint as to hold until the shot is sure. I've used both guns and prefer band for more power, but air for speed of reload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast