Lionfish envenomation, HURTS LIKE A MF"ER!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdoug1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was out last Friday doing my part to help irradicate the Lionfish overtaking Honduran waters. It was such a target rich environment of the coast of Roatan, that I had speared 16 Lionfish in the first 35 minutes of my dive. I alredy had 3 of them on my pole spear, and tried to make some room at the end of the pole to get # 17. Well, as I thrust the spear forward to shift the fish back, I over did it. I sent a doral spine completely through my thumb. The spine went in on the crease of my distal thumb joint, and came out next to my nail bed. The initial pain was considerable, but I knew I was in for a great deal more. I was concerned about systemic toxicity, so I proceded to my safety stop and surfaced. Pain and swelling in my hand rapidly increased over the next 90 minutes. My thumb eventually swelled to 3 times it's normal diameter, and my whole hand also had significant swelling. I treated the sting with hot water immersion, and took some antihistamines and tylenol (this was woefully inefective in treating the pain, but it was all I had, and at least I suffered few systemic effects). The pain peaked at 90 minutes, and did not decrease for another 4 hours. After that, the pain slowly decreased, but still hurts some six days later. I have had some painfull injuries in the past, but this was the most intense pain I have ever experienced. Some people seem to be less reactive to the venom, but I seem to be sensitive to it. Also, my puncture traversed deep tissue. Once I got to Florida 2 days later, I radiographed the digit to rule out retained spine fragments, and took a tetanus booster. After six days, all swelling in the hand has resolved, but I have some skin sloughing and joint pain. One moment of haste and carelessness has caused me a good deal of pain. Prior to this episode, I always thought someone would really have to be a goober to get stung. While this may be the case, and I may be guilty of "gooberosity", I also have a new appreciation for how easy it was to get stuck! Please be dilligent in protecting yourself from getting stuck.

I guess it is time for me to buy those needle resistant gloves. Glad everything turned out good in the end.

Thanks, Doug. My buddy got nailed by one on a night dive in Papua New Guinea. He just brushed against it, so the consequences were much less severe. Still, though, he spent some uncomfortable hours in the immediate aftermath.

So, here's an idea for you - DON'T GO MESSING WITH THE WILDLIFE!!

I know this is a bit of a topic for grand debate, but how about we just accept that we are part of nature, not the rulers of it, that if we "mess up" and cause a change to the ecosystem balance, that's ok, that happens. The ecosystem will react, change slightly, develop. If lionfish come to dominate...OK, so they dominate! Good luck to them.

Lets do what we can do not affect the environment and ecosystems, absolutely. I'm definitely in favour of controls, rules and regs for release of fish into non-native habitats etc, but when something does happen, let's surely just accept it and let nature take it's course. After all, migratory animals (birds, fish etc) have been introducing "alien" species to new ecosystems for millenia. It's how the world got to be this way. We are just another animal, responsible for causing mixing. Let's not interfere, and especially if it's going to damage us!

:hijackedthread:I hate to do it... but sometimes I can't help myself... :hijackedthread:

:worthless:

:sofa:

Reactions: Jax
Didnt they teach you to wear gloves in your lion fish hunting specialty course!? Lol :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom