Pneumatic Spearguns: Whats the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy107@gmail.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Everyone,

Ive decided i want to start spear fishing, and i travel a lot, so ive been looking at pneumatic spearguns, because they will fit in my dive bag for traveling. So, what are the best pneumatic spearguns? ive been looking at the Mares Sten, but im open to other suggestions, roughly in a 60-ish cm gun. Also, are there any other things i am going to need to start spearfishing?

Thanks

I have been using Mares Stens since the 1980's. DeeperBlue has more Spearos that use pneumatics so look there for advice on best gun. You will need an extra shaft (complete with butt adapter, spring, locator ring, line slide) and extra spearpoints. The Sten has an 8mm (5/16") spear shaft with 7mm threading. More common is 6mm threading, so I tend to use 5/16" shafts with 6mm threading. Check SCUBASWorld and SCUBA.com for parts. Length depends on what type of fishing. I have the shortest about 18" model and about a 3' model. What I use is for my area mainly California Groundfish. They are rockfish, Lingcod and Cabezon. They are mainly bottom fish, so shooting up against rocks, under ledges, between boulders, etc. in low visibility conditions.

I also have a flashlight and a camera mount on my guns. I use a UK Q40 eLED. Good for seeing under ledges and in rocks.
Of course, need to know fishing regulations for location. Other items may include a fish stringer. There are many types of stringers. Sometime I like a heavy duty stringer for carrying fish, other times I may use a more compact wire cable with threading spike stringer.
http://www.scubasworld.com/products.php?cat=151

A knife may be needed to quickly dispatch a large fighting fish so you do not get injured by it.

Spearpoints with correct size flopper depending on flesh of fish and shooting conditions. Up against rocks a long flopper may not open. If missing head and going through soft flesh body a short flopper may tear off possibly losing fish. Some spearpoints may be damaged easily when shooting against rocks.

A steady hand and a good aim...

:)

Seriously, though. Have you sorted yourself out with a quality diving knife yet. Titanium is the way to go.

Also, are there any other things i am going to need to start spearfishing?

---------- Post added November 30th, 2013 at 05:25 AM ----------

Yes, that's two more things right there. A good quality camera to capture the action and a diving torch should be at the top of your list.

I also have a flashlight and a camera mount on my guns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom