Would you buy a fishing license just to hunt lionfish?

Would you buy a fishing license just to remove lionfish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carol202

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I saw a posting on Facebook from a fisherman that believes divers should not have to purchase a fishing license to hunt for lionfish. This was in Florida. His argument was that no one would buy a license just to hunt lionfish, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

I think there are divers out there that would purchase a fishing license just to try to protect the other fishes on the reefs they enjoy. The cost of a license isn't half as much as the cost of a spear or nets, and some good gloves and a catch bag.

Am I wrong? I would love to hear some of the other opinions out there.

Carol

I would not get a fishing licence just for Lionfish, but since I buy a fishing licence at the start of every year I'd be covered. In other words I wouldn't take up killing fish just for sport.

In CA where I live you have to have a hunting licence even if you just want to kill varmints, I suppose the same thinking is used with Lionfish.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

His argument was that no one would buy a license just to hunt lionfish, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

I doubt 'no one' is literally correct, but it might deter some. How much does one cost? I'm thinking Florida gets a lot of vacation divers, and some might like to hunt lionfish, but not want to buy a fishing license when they'll only be there a weekend, for example. In some places an out-of-state fishing license is considerably more expensive than for state residents, I think.

I suspect the rationale for requiring them is that other spearfishermen can always say "I only hunt lionfish" if accosted by Fish & Wildlife officers asking to see a license, unless they've got other species' bodies on hand. Requiring the license for anyone with spearing equipment on the boat or in the water makes law enforcement of the fishing license more practical.

But it might cost you some help nailing lionfish.

How much money are we talking about? Especially for an out-of-stater.

Richard.

I don't think I would. I shoot them and leave them as dinner for the other fish. This is a public service akin to picking up trash on the trails when we're out in the Jeep.

I don't think I would. I shoot them and leave them as dinner for the other fish. This is a public service akin to picking up trash on the trails when we're out in the Jeep.

But if a cop pulls you over while you're doing this, he'll still want to see your drivers license !! :wink:

Licence fees, Fla

Basic Spearfishing regs, Fla
[URL="http://myfwc.com/media/2075479/2012jan_adfree_saltregs.pdf"]http://myfwc.com/media/2075479/2012jan_adfree_saltregs.pdf
page 7

Harvesting and reporting Lionfish, Fla
Harvesting and Reporting Lionfish
Harveting lionfish
FWC encourages divers and anglers to remove lionfish, which can help Florida's native marine fish and habitats. Lionfish can be speared, caught in hand-held nets or caught on hook and line.

■Recreational divers and anglers must have a recreational fishing license to take lionfish.
■There are no size or bag limits up to a total catch weight of 100 pounds.
■To harvest more than 100 pounds or to sell lionfish, a saltwater products license is required.
■Divers should know the rules for using spears. Spears may not be used:
■Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed;
■Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline;
■In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Miami-Dade County line;
■In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks (Florida Park Service). Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.
■Harvest by other means, such as hand-held nets, is allowed in all of these situations.
■There are general saltwater regulations that apply to the harvest of all marine species, including lionfish. These regulations prohibit the use of certain gear such as explosives, fish traps and certain nets, and prohibit the harvest of fish while using a rebreather.
■A permit is required to harvest lionfish in the no-take zones of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Permits are issued by the Sanctuary following training given by the Sanctuary and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF).
Handling lionfish
Lionfish should be handled carefully; they have venom glands on the dorsal, pelvic and anal spines.

■NOAA recommends treating a puncture wound by immersing the wound area in hot (not scalding) water for 30-90 minutes and to seek medical attention as soon as possible. The Poison Help Hotline, 800-222-1222, is available 24 hours a day, every day.
■Unless a person is allergic to the venom, lionfish stings are very rarely fatal. Stings can be very painful, cause numbness, swelling and even temporary paralysis.
Reporting lionfish
■Call the nationwide reporting number (877-STOPANS) sponsored by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) or fill out an online report on the USGS website.
■NOAA is particularly interested in receiving information about sightings in the Gulf of Mexico. It would also like to receive specimens. An instruction sheet on how to collect specimens and contact information for NOAA is available online.

My red highlights.

Bob
----------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Last edited:

But if a cop pulls you over while you're doing this, he'll still want to see your drivers license !! :wink:

There are no SCUBA police, and since I shoot nothing, ever other than lionfish, there's nothing to stop me for. Probable cause is still required, I presume. It's not like I'm carrying a speargun or anything. I use a small hawaiian sling, and it's stored in a pocket except when I'm actually shooting one of the little bastards.

No, I would not and have not. I purchased my FL license solely for Lobster season. If it were not for lobster season, and lionfish were in my sights, I would not buy a license just for that. I will watch them swim gracefully away rather than spend money. Licenses should not be required for problems like this.

I ran into a similar problem when I wanted to organize an effort to remove an invasive exotic seaweed from Asia that had taken over our waters. The permitting process for that was about 4 months. This seaweed has substantially altered our ecosystems in just a short few years after it was initially discovered on our coast in 2003.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom