Dangers of spearfishing on AIR. Help/advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jebsurf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok.... start off a little about myself. I WAS a freediving spearo until I got my PADI dive certs a couple weeks ago. I just wanted to see if there is anything different that I should know about spearing on air vs freediving. I have done it twice now(on air) and instead of acting like or thinking I know everything I just figured I would ask. Like prime example..... when spearing something big like a 80lb aj normally we would use a float rig.... but on air it don't seem like the best idea.....?... right? also I'm constantly chasing the moving fish....one min they will be at 15ft then push down to 50ft and then by the time I shoot one and fix what I have going on and put it on my stringer they are back at 15 ft again(up,down, up down,). Is it not the best idea to go up, down, up down again? I'm in the dark and these might seem like dumb questions but I seen a quote on here not too long ago that hit me... the one that says " in scuba it's NOT... what you don't know wont hurt ya...What you don't know in scuba will kill ya" . So that being said....fire away and thanks :D

i asked if it was legal and you replied ... nope.

maybe you have an english speaking neighbour that you could ask to translate for you?

I see I did say that so 1 for you. But NO where in my thread did I ask anything about if what I was doing was illegal. So "maybe " you could either contribute or keep bumping my thread with your useless post and burning up space cupcake :wink:

its not usuall to spearfish with scuba because its not sporting old chap.

most divers are not in the killing fish brigade.

thanks for editing your post.

you asked if constantly changing depth was good and the answer is ..no.

Spearfishing on air is extremely common...

its not usuall to spearfish with scuba because its not sporting old chap.

most divers are not in the killing fish brigade.

thanks for editing your post.

you asked if constantly changing depth was good and the answer is ..no.

I'm an idiot and I can see where I pointed you in the wrong direction. Sorry for that. I do like going out and hunting my own food to stock my home. Not because I cant afford it but because I cant STAND buying things from store's...and because of all of the BS they put in your food. I eat EVERYTHING I kill . And the feeling of killing something with my own hands to feed my family w/o the Bull*hit chemicals in it is awesome. Also it's a great feeling knowing I'm preparing for the zombies :) . But as for the ups and downs note taken. Is it bad to do because of the pressure changes or because of RN or what?

Back
Top Bottom