Lobster hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finnfanrm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
It seems like no matter what I do to prevent it every time I go lobstering, I end up with little scrapes and nicks on my hands that hurts like hell,
and nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if anybody knows of any remedies, lotions,ointments or whatever that would help.

Bag Balm. Thick, nasty, smelly ointment in a can -- Works great.

I used to be commercial lobster diver and I developed an allergy to lobsters. the tiniest puncture, even one drop of their blue blood landing on my unbroken skin would feel like acid. I would have to wear very heavy leather welding gloves. Try to prevent punctures, and wash with liquid dial soap after contact and apply normal hand cream super thick at night.

After many years of little exposure, I am no longer hyper-sensitive to them. My advice is to avoid contact as much as possible, especially when cleaning them.. wear rubber gloves inside protective gloves..

Yeah, my suggestion was big F#^&ing gloves too.

Lobster scratches can get nastily infected. Never had it happen to me, but I have seen people I dive with balloon up, particularly if a little bit of the spikes from their feelers gets under your skin.

Back
Top Bottom