Spearing Lionfish in Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen Triggerfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I learned to spear lionfish during an amazing REEF-sponsored trip last year. I now have a trip to Little Cayman coming up. Does anyone know if spearing is allowed, encouraged, discouraged, etc. among the dive shops there?

Apologies if this has been asked before. I didn't have much luck when I tried a search.

Thanks.

Not sure but seems like most places are marine parks. I would call before you go. Didn't see many lion fish but shoot on!

You'll have grouper issues! They will even find the lionfish and stare at them like a pointer dog. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To spear Lion Fish in the Cayman Islands you have to be cleared by the Police to have and use a Government (DOE) issued spear (solely for LF culling), they have the same classification as firearms. The dive professionals generally don't spear LF when guests are on the trips, the local sharks have been known to take an interest and "bump" divers.
So it will probably come under the "discouraged" criteria, but you will be so busy enjoying the dive, you won't have time to worry about the LF!

Queen,
I'm afraid that's a no. On LC, a group of divemasters do get together, usually once a week, and spear Lionfish on the sites they dive.

Possession of a speargun in the Cayman Islands is illegal and can result in serious consequences. The only exception is DOE issued spears in the possession of licensed persons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom