Mares Frontiersman pneumatic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up a Mares Frontiersman pneumatic speargun for almost free. It has a little bit of corrosion on it, but, I was able to pump it up. I put about 100 pumps into it and submerged it...no leaks! It fired nicely with a bit of recoil.

Does anymore have a technical manual for this speargun? I would like to rebuild it. Also, is there an adapter fitting so I can fill it off a compressed air source?

I know it is an older speargun, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up.

Post is a month + old, I stumbled on it. But anyway, my dive buddy was on me to get his Frontiersman completed, It's been sitting in Shop for at least 5 years now. (has leaky o-ring in trigger)

This new energy from him brought up an old project I forgot about doing; Build an adapter with Pressure Gauge/Regulator for these guns. Not knowing the actual pressure in these guns has always been an issue. If you are interested in a setup let me know. I've been taking these guns apart to replace seals for many years.

-Linghunt

Last edited:
Many years ago, Mares had an adapter with pressure gauge used to fill the gun from a scuba tank. Not sure if it is still available.

The hand pump is all that is needed. Only needs pumping every couple of years. Store the gun nose down. Give it a couple of drops of light weight fork oil periodically in the front. Contact Zak OHara Mares Rep in Mares forum for shop manual. Scubasworld has all repair parts and service if required. I got some spare shafts from Ray Odor. SCUBA.com and SCUBAsWorld may also have shafts.

I made an adapter to Fill up to 160 psi with compressor. Don't need to pump them that much so I haven't made a Gauge assembly with regulator so one could fill with Scuba tank. On the "to do list" If I could find 3 - 4 folks that want one, might be worth doing. Hand pumping does get old when you are pumping from scratch.

Manuals and part lists are on-line.

-Linghunt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom