Great at spearing fish in the open water, but suck with lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been pole spearing in the Bahamas, and for whatever reason, with my polespear, I cannot land a lobster in holes. Same with lionfish. Every now and then I'll get them but I feel like using a flopper tip is a bad idea in holes because it goes through but doesn't deploy the head. Would a paralyzer tip with slight barbs work better for lobster/lionfish? I got a new paralyzer head but the points are straight up - how wide should I separate them, and how do I do that?

for lion fish not much need to seperate tines. mine fit inside a 1" pvc tube with an end so that I do not have to worry about it when I reboard a boat. never shot a lobster, but Ill bet same principal.

paralyzers are okay , but in my experience a single tip head with a single flopper is best for lion fish, its easier to try and remove on tip instead of three like you find with most paralyzers. Last thing you want is to get stuck while your trying to get a lion off the tip of your spear, been there done that, not fun.. never speared lobs, its easier down here to either barehand them or use a snare. Good luck on your hunting

How in the world is getting a lionfish off a single flopper tip easy? A paralyzer tip works great for lionfish and lobster...

I'm with Dumpster Diver, trying to get lionfish off a flopper barbed tip is just asking to get stung. The barbless paralyzers are fine for lionfish, but when getting the lobster too I like the tips with small barbs, either paralyzer or trident style.
3prong.jpg

How in the world is getting a lionfish off a single flopper tip easy? A paralyzer tip works great for lionfish and lobster...

The fish is in a hole. Against a wall. The spear needs to go through the entire length of the flopper head to deploy, otherwise it doesn't deploy. "How in the world!" isn't exactly too difficult to understand.

4 pronged barbed 2 ft pole spear. Knife through the head. Pull out your spear, and cut off it's spines. Fire up the grill.
Spearing lobsters? Not ok where I'm at. Just snare them or tickle them into a net. It's gotta be easier anyways.

scottlion.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom