New England under water hunters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CodFishHead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. Newbie here. I live in CT. I started free diving and spear fishing last year. Fell in love. I was and still am a diehard fisherman. Decided I want to stay down longer so looking to get cert for scuba now. Have a few thousand newbie questions. Please be patient with me.

When do you start jumping in? I have a 5mm suit. Since LIS is a dark silt filled place I run to RI to free dive and spearfish a lot. Few times a week depending on fish runs and weather. I normally start my Striper fishing around May 15 depending on the spring run. Wondering when you people start diving and what temps the water is at that time. I started spearfishing last year in the warm water.

What do you hunt for? I really want to harvest anything I can to eat. Was wondering if you can find oysters, scallops, mussels, and such while diving that aren’t in comm beds. Any kind of sea veggies I would be willing to try. As stated I’m big into fishing so I know where and when to target fish. It’s everything else I need to learn where to look.

I have a 17’3” CC Angler boat that handles the waters very well. Been out in 8-10 footers 12 miles off Chesapeake Bay and never took a wave over the nose. Boat does 40mph. Definitely willing to take out any experienced divers that will help show me the ropes once I get my cert and gear together. I know the waters around Mystic, Stonington, Nap, Watch Hill, the entire reef line, SS fishers, and so on very well. Normally target Stripers, fluke, Sea Bass, and black fish when fishing. I can def put you on/over fish.

Thank you
Jay

---------- Post added April 5th, 2013 at 09:35 AM ----------

Thank you

Jay

If you are still looking for a buddy to dive send me a PM. I to am new to the sport, love to fish, and I have a 20' boat. Fish a lot in the Groton / Fishers Island area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom