Main Players in Manufacturing of Spearfishing Equipment (Spearguns)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can you please let me know the names (and websites) for the known players in manufacturing spearfishing equipment (spearguns)? In my part of the world, the Mediterranean, Mares seems to be the biggest name (SEACSUB and Cressi are also known but not as nearly present as Mares) but I am looking for other companies that would be good competitors for Mares (rubber and pneumatic types).

mako
rob allen
wong
ABbiller
JBL
ocean rhino
riffe

That should get you started.

Thank you John!!

Any feedback or comments on those (especially AB Biller, JBL and Riffe)?

Thank you John!!

Any feedback or comments on those (especially AB Biller, JBL and Riffe)?

Out of those three, the riffe is going to be the most money and best put together, they are awesome guns but pricey for sure. Biller is a solid gun and prob the most widely used brand of gun. Jbls are known for their tube (as oppose to wood and yes i know they make both) construction and have taken some huge fish, alot of Louisiana rig divers use jbls with riding rigs to deck 100+ pound fish from crazy depths.

When people ask me what gun to buy, i say mako oceanic, it's a tube gun but they are damn solid and customer service from mako is second to none. They will bend over backwards to make sure you are happy every single time with every single product they sell, and they sell alot of stuff.

Another cool thing about the mako is that if you want a huge gun and a small gun then all you need is a tube, shaft, and bands. You can switch the muzzle and handle onto any size tube making it versatile and wallet friendly.

Thank you once again. Here is the market where I am now, Libya:

1. All spearfishing is at the coastline (or very close to it) with no "blue water" diving/spearfishing.

2. The popular sizes for guns used there are: 29" to around 39" with 33 - 37 being most popular. No guns bigger than around 40"used.

3. Typical clients can afford guns in the $125 - 250 range (this is average). Expensive stuff will be a luxury they can't afford for the greater majority of people here.

4. Typical fish caught: groupers, snappers, octopus (whatever is living around the bottom and close to shore).

5. Mares pneumatic guns are popular but people are looking for the band guns. Brands available are generally Cressi, SEAC Sub, and Mares (at least what I see frequently).

Based on the above, what would you recommend (in terms of brands and perhaps models) please? Would you think that JBL would be the appropriate all rounder for this market?

Jbl 38 special comes right to mind but only because that's what i use in short vis and hole shooting situations aka grouper and snapper hunting. Again however, makos are top notch and if i had it to do over, i would have had a short closed muzzle mako first. Air guns are cool and truth be told they are stronger inch for inch, but, most people like band guns from what i can tell, never had a air gun so can't comment.

What's the vis like normally? Never any jacks or other bigger fish up over your structure? How big of a grouper do you want to gear for? You can shoot lil fish with a big gun but no shooting big fish with a little gun...

Even so a jbl will pretty much get it done, dialing in length is preference mostly just be sure to bring enough gun because wounding fish is a big no no to spearos.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2013 at 07:26 PM ----------

Just to clarify, when i say makos are top notch, i mean if you look at performance, price, durability and customer service, nothing is even close. The guns are lasers.

Are there guns out there that are better? Yes.

Do i always use a mako? Nope. I have a custom hand made bamboo gun, all metal mech and a magnet in the muzzle to hold my shaft down while freeshafting, it also has a single wrap of mono with a slide ring that let's me go from freeshaft (using no line) to a tethered rod in a few seconds.

If i didn't have my super bad ass bamboo gun then mako would be #2.

1. Visibility: 30 - 60 feet on average

2. Occasions for big fish but whatever they find close to shore.

3. Size of fish 2 - 15 kg (guesstimate)

My question isn't about exactly what size gun but what brand is appropriate given the circumstances of $$$$ (primary) and the rest of the circumstances in Libya. Basically, of all of the brands you mention, which one should I become a dealer/distributor for in Libya that would satisfy the needs of the local spearfishermen. Is JBL a good quality that won't embarrass me in terms of reliability and performance?

Yes, jbl would be a great choice, i have a jbl that was bought used 5 hard years ago, i dive year round and still take fish with that gun to this day.

Fresh set of bands/line with a rattle can paint job and she looks brand new...

Just don't store the gun with the shaft in the mech and dunk/rinse post dive, like all your gear.

I have jbl woody. Its awesome. Easy, smooth trigger pull. I've shot big (30+ lb grouper) and smaller sheephead and flounder with it. Amazing, quality gun and affordable. Would definitely recommend jbl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom