Spearheading Lionfish Conservation in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lionfish are destroying our reef! ReefCI and SafeSpear need your help!

Calling all divers, snorkelers, journalists, underwater photographers and videographers. Come join ReefCI in the FIRST EVER month long lionfish derby !! Stay for 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks and help us Spear them, dissect them, analyse them, prepare them and eat them!

Bring your cameras, bring your videos and help spread awareness about the lionfish invasion! Our aim is to break every record and remove as many lionfish as possible during a 4-week period. We already hold the record for the LARGEST lionfish caught in Belize, come help us break many more......

ReefCI is so passionate about the issue we are offering a 15% discount on our standard rates for all bookings during lionfish September. We cant do it without you!!

Included in the trip:

· Island transfers.
· All island accommodation.
· All meals on the island.
· All diving.
· PADI Open Water and Advanced Open water certifications (a $50US admin fee applies).
· Diving equipment.
· Spears and bags will be supplied.

This is the start of an exciting new collaboration between ReefCI and SafeSpear! At the end of the trip, everyone will be a ReefCI & SafeSpear certified "Lionfish Hunter" and will receive a certification.

And this is called "Lionfish conservation"? Cute. I always love to say things and actually mean the exact opposite.

LOL, I'm in process of coming up with a pole spear/tip design so one diver and whack and stack a lot of them. Got hit last week with a couple requests. Been watching Videos on them. I just did not know the issue was there.

It sounds like you want all the meat returned for your derby. If one could just bring back a "Tail" for count, that would make my job easier, and increase your numbers.......

I know they are good eating fish and I don't like to waste, but if you want to really impact the problem........

ASIDE: All the game I shoot now (except rats, and the like), I bless and provide for my family and friends. After the shot, the hard work begins to take care of them...

Reminds me of my youth days out shooting prairie dogs in NM, Had a many of Ranchers shake my hand, give us more ammo and food and a warm smile as they directed us to a new location and lock combos if needed. Hel-la lot more fun than arcade at state fair and saved a lot of livestock too. Keep me and my teenage buddies out of trouble too. Guns in the hands of kids can be a good thing. (different Topic)

milkthistle, you may want to add hot water to the list of what's included. LOTS of hot water.

Got a Tip done and a small multi-part pole spear complete. The Shooter seems to be happy, It's in the gulf for testing... I came up with something a little different that what is on market.

I did see some pretty good stuff out there. Lionfishhunting.com has their act together. Don't know them, but they look to have though out produces properly.

Some out there are all marketing and hype crap.

That's the largest lion fish? Man I wish I had a measuring tape with me. I can almost guarantee that the one I shot a few months ago was bigger than that. And tasty too!

It all sounds like a lot of fun.....except for the people who will inevitably get stung. Go out and kill all you can. Good eating.

But don't believe for a minute that you'll have an effect on the lionfish population of Belize, no matter how many you kill. Yes, there are divers in Placencia, San Pedro, a few on the cayes, but overall, I would estimate that less than 15%, if that, of the barrier reef is dived at all. And only to recreational depths.

They're here to stay. Eat all you can. Good. But don't kid yourselves into believing you can actually make an impact on the invasion.

Back
Top Bottom