Help finding old story: free diver attacked by a shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Several years ago there was a story on one of the spear fishing or free diving boards of a guy getting lifted out of the water on the nose of shark.

Anyone remember this story, and can provide me with links?

Randy Fry lost his head? Last year at Still Water in Sonoma County a free diver got followed to the surface by the Landlord? There was another guy who was bitten free diving on the North Coast.

Where did this instance happen that you are referring to?

Where?..... Can't remember for sure. Maybe Florida?

About 3-4 years ago they were free-diving/spear fishing, and a big shark launched out of the water vertically with this guy perched on the snout of the shark.

The free diver managed to fight off the shark without injury. He had a long post on one of the free diving or spear fishing forums. That's all I can remember.

The event occurred about 30 + years ago

It was Harry Ingram
The story was in the first chapter of Carlos Eyles' book "The last of the blue water hunters." (still on used book market)

He was spear fishing in Mexico and a GWS circled him, came back from underneath with wide open mouth, Harry turned fired his long gun (about 5=1/2 feet long) point blank into the shark's mouth. The GWS closed it's mouth and Harry rode on the sharks back up and out of the water.

I suspect this is the story you are recalling.

SDM

No, the story that I am looking for happened 3-4 years ago

Back
Top Bottom