speargun recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drifter001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi

A buddy is trying to get me into spearfishing out in SoCal (LA area). Will mostly just be spearing whatever is spearable down here but wondering what speargun you guys would recommend for a newb. I know i want one with those rubber bands. Also what size would be a good one?

Thanks for the positive recommendation.!

A 90 cm gun would be a very popular choice for that area.

The only speargun I would buy would be an Ocean Rhino. It'll last forever. The only way you could kill it would be by driving over it with a truck, probably a large truck.

Which gun and type depends on what you are trying to go after and Where.

There are lots of guns out there and lots of folks into building their own as well. Lots of parts available for DIY.

I like the Mares pneumatics for the low Vis Northern California Coast. I can reload fast and don't need much range. I mount a flashlight on one of my shorter guns for getting up in Holes to see who is home. They have a low power setting on them as well.

I did research for a Open water Blue water gun a few years ago. I bought a Koah spear gun and it worked great for a dive in Mexico where I had great vis.

That is spendy gun and not what you want to start out with.

JBL has a min carbine band gun. I've made some replacement tips for those, and those divers seem to like it. One band and limited range and power. I think some are on E-bay for under $100.

What ever you buy, take care of it and if you don't like it, just resell it for 80% of what you paid. Pole spears are also out there.

There are lots of different types of tips, that is another big topic. All leads back to where are you diving, conditions, prey.

I assume you'll be hunting on SCUBA? If so, you don't need a big gun since you won't be hunting white seabass or yellowtail (or paddy hopping for dorado).

For SCUBA, a 90cm rail gun is a good choice (like the one from Mako). Get it with a regular flopper shaft and an extra threaded shaft so you can set it up with a detachable double-flopper for hunting halibut. If you get serious about halibut you might consider a reel as well. Great halibut setup for hunting so cal and the islands. Bang for the buck you can't do much better than Mako.

JBL has a min carbine band gun. I've made some replacement tips for those, and those divers seem to like it. One band and limited range and power. I think some are on E-bay for under $100.

What kind of effective range would you expect to get out of the mini? I'm looking for something to use in the freshwater lakes here in Ar. I wouldn't need a long range but some medium sized catfish make me a little nervous that the mini might not have enough power.

Send me your email and I will put you in contact with an owner of that gun. Owner feedback is better that sales marketing hype.

Scuba or free diving use is an important aspect to gun choice too. (john@linghunt.com)

now with the mako guns, whats the difference between the mini shark fins on the shaft and notched shafts?

What kind of effective range would you expect to get out of the mini? I'm looking for something to use in the freshwater lakes here in Ar. I wouldn't need a long range but some medium sized catfish make me a little nervous that the mini might not have enough power.

next to nothing. the JBL carbine line as a whole is priced the way they are for a reason.... built with inferior parts and materials.

Back
Top Bottom