Streamlining for hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazzymusicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

I live in South Florida and I've been going diving often since getting certified a few months ago. I always take my polespear (a foldspear), a lobster snare, and a lobster motel with me. I've hit a few lionfish, a majorra, and a few hogs. Here's a video of my last kill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dodNQ07_4-s) Anyways, carrying all of this crap is annoying.

The foldspear is super convenient because I can put it away at will, but sometimes I have to juggle both the spear and the snare because my dive buddy (aka wife) just doesn't want to carry it anymore. The other thing that annoys me is the dangling lobster motel. There really is no way to streamline that thing. I'm open to any suggestions on how to manage the spear and snare (the snare doesn't have anywhere to put a double ender unless i get creative with a zip tie) and an alternative to the bulky lobster motel. I've thought about using a regular mesh bag, but I'm wondering how much of a pain that'll be to get my bounty in.

Last edited:
I realize this thread is old, but I noticed it under a thread I was viewing and it was unanswered. Perhaps it will help someone else with the same question.

This might be a good option. I own it and it gives you a lot of versatility. You can remove the handle and put a standard band on if you want. Plus with the new take rule on an extra bug per 10 Lionfish it's a nice solution to gear management.

Assassin Pro Sling

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 90
Some divers that hate all the drag of lobster catch bags, have gone to getting a PVC pipe, of the diameter they like for lobsters fitting in---(a bit smaller than a steel 72), with a pvc cover on one end, and lobster hotel entry way on the other....if you could put a PVC cap ovr this end also, that had a line on it so it would not be lost while you were putting lobsters inside, that could make it more hydrodynamic while swimming....I don't think you want water trying to pass through it, and adding turbulence.

Then you attach the PVC tube to your left Chest D-Ring and left hip D-ring, like it is a stage bottle.

In this stage bottle configuration, particularly with a bp/wing ( say a 18 pound or 30 pound lift wing), the PVC tube "drafts" behind your armpit, and has very little drag when compared to a lobster bag, with the huge nasty turbulence and drag they create. You would find you can do a big kick, and a long glide, much more like a freediver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom