Need help picking Carbon Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unclejsband

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking into buying carbon fins and could use some help. I am mostly interested in C4s, but am unsure which model would be best and what thickness (30 or 40). I was reading a few other threads, but many of them were a little out of date regarding the current C4 lineup. I posted some info that seemed to be relevant in other discussions.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor

1. Weight: 260, Height 6' (definitely carrying extra fat, but mostly muscle)
2. Relatively Experienced Spearo?
3. Pretty decent leg strength.
4. Currently using Garra 3000 plastic fins
5. Currently diving around 60-75, would like to get to 100+
6. Mostly dive in So Cal (Malibu/Catalina), but make trips to Mexico/Hawaii.
7. I use a 5mm wetsuit with about 25lbs weight

Probably best to check out DeeperBlue website Freediving Equipment - DeeperBlue.com Forums

SpearBoard California section may also have some knowledgeable Spearos that use C4's.

I have Captain Nemo fiberglass straight blade fins and Picasso Carbon. There is no comparison for our long surface swims and deep dives using carbon fins is the way to go. Straight blade fins suck for long surface swims. I think the fiberglass were about $180 with footpockets; and the carbon about $260 with footpockets at FreediveShop's annual sale.

I use C4 VGR 81's.

C4.jpg

I am:

• 202 lbs
  • An experienced downline runner (not a spearo)
  • Powerful legs
  • Using the C4's, Beuchat Mundial Competitions, and Dassault Performance Orange
  • Currently 30 to 40 meters
  • Mostly dive NorCal, but tropics also
  • 5mm Yazbeck w/ 15 lbs

I have personally used 30's and 40's. I'd place our stiffness needs as pretty similar. IIRC, the stiffness number originally referred to the depth in meters you were anticipating for an average sized (scrawny) freediver.

The 40's have excellent launch when getting off the bottom in the 30 meter range, but you pay for it on the long, low to medium effort swims (like the swim to the surface), they definitely have higher O2 burn.

The 30's have a nice low effort level for the O2 segment swims and a silky smooth dolphin kick. The cost is you'll lose efficiency for the launch off the bottom, especially with your lead load, so it will take an extra "hard" kick or two. The same for your departure from the surface. If you're really serious about 30 meters +, with your size, the 30's are what I'd recommend.

If you're often stalking fish on the bottom, get the Falcons, the tips will get a lot less chewed up. If you're a freewater Tuna shooter, the Flaps are quite a bit more efficient - you can feel it - but the tips will get dinged up if you so much as cross your eyes at them.

Also, the 29 degree fin cant is totally worth it, my VGR's have it and it is amazing how much sooner you can go into sink phase.

C4's are superb. I'd place them as perhaps a 15% to 20% improvement over the typical carbon fins. The problem is they cost twice as much! Not to dissuade you from getting the C4's, just I believe that you should know what you're in for.

Cmburch is spot on, a long surface swim on carbon fiber - especially good carbon fiber - will make you want to visit the closest dumpster with your plastic fins.

All the best, James

---------- Post added October 8th, 2013 at 04:45 PM ----------

Oh. Just saw you were asking about model, too.

The Mustang foot pocket is comfy and really, really efficient, maybe 15% more power transmission to the blade. It is also a PITA to fit, and a PITA+ to put on and take off. Because of the way the blade is joined to the foot pocket, there is a lot more bending there (which makes more efficient use of the carbon fiber). It also makes the blade feel softer so you might consider going up a grade in stiffness.

The Flap & Falcon have conventional footpockets so you know what that's like. Because of the rubber side rails they also feel stiffer. The stiffness recommendations I gave in the post above were assuming you went with Falcons or Flaps.

All the best, James

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed advice! It is a huge help in understanding the nuances of each detail. I'm going to head down to a local shop that carries a few models and see how the different foot pockets feel (mustang vs conventional) with my giant, flat feet and then try and make a decision based on your advice/comfort level.

Thanks for the detailed advice! It is a huge help in understanding the nuances of each detail. I'm going to head down to a local shop that carries a few models and see how the different foot pockets feel (mustang vs conventional) with my giant, flat feet and then try and make a decision based on your advice/comfort level.
Hi fdog,
Do you maby know some method to protect the flap end of the C4 carbon blade? maby with use of some sticker or foil - just wondering. Friend of mine sent me also that pic that I placing it below
12606770_10208579101224942_231045817_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom