Spearing Your Fishing Partner is A Real Threat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
spearass.jpg

A woman named Carly Hallam shared this picture. Living proof that people really do accidently shoot their fishing buddies. Twice I had spears accidently sent in my direction. Neither were too close but seeing this picture makes me realize the nightmare I could have had.

Though I don't hunt with guns on land, I can imagine a couple guys hunting together must really trust each others knowledge of gun and hunting safety. My friends and I had strict rules about loading a speargun anywhere near each other. We've all experienced mechanism problems that made our spears accidently release. We generally backed off on the buddy system and hunted an area alone. Maintaining a buddy system while hunting on scuba is not easy. It was a bit better for us because the visibility was most often over 100ft. Even still we'd get so into hunting we end up completely separated.

Perhaps this thread should be in the underwater hunting forum. I was hoping to hear from other spearfisherman on how they solve the hunting while buddying situation and at the same time share this accident. Adventure-Ocean

Ouch. That sucks, but damn it's funny! He's lucky I wasn't on the boat, the jokes would have been rolling off my tongue quicker than a fat kid eats a jelly doughnut.

Thats the first "Shish Ka Bun".I have ever seen! I hope his dive buddy gives his spear gun a break, and switches to a pole spear.

I have been diving solo for many years in Southeast Florida (Jupiter), typically in 90-115'. The current can be very swift, so diving with a partner means one guy is just holding on waiting for the other guy to get a lobster or take a fish off the spear, which isn't very efficient or fun. However, we do so when taking less experienced dives out. Occasionally, we dive with two separate divers with separate surface bouys, but not in high seas or in high current. It is easy to get too far apart from each other and the boat. When diving solo we always use a pony bottle (13 to 30 CF; not a spare air). Being a self sufficient solo diver isn't for everyone and every skill level, but with enough experience and the right equipment it is perfectly exceptable. (Some will argue this point I'm sure.) It is much better than having the expectation that your buddy is there for you when he's not.

Back
Top Bottom