What was your most memorable kill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would be the insurgen in...
Oh wait, there was more to the thread than just that title..

For me so far (being a new spearfisherman) it had to be my first lionfish. He was a monster in size, and after I shot him I realized I had forgotten my snips to take his poison tips off, and there was no way I was going to put him on my stringer, so I kept him on the shaft and as I was coming back up I looked down and saw what must have been a 30" or larger fat gag grouper which I couldn't spear now - argh!

But it was worth it - 4 of us dined on lionfish that night for the first time and all agreed it was about the best fish we'd ever had.

Some years ago, in the Dry Tortugas, I was cruising solo along a shelf which lies at about 80 feet, and then drops off sharply to about 150 feet. I freeshafted a Black Grouper of about 25 pounds who was being rather uncooperative about being put on my stringer. A Bull shark swam directly up over the edge and stopped, looking at me (or the Grouper) at a distance of about 8 feet. The bull was probably about 6 or 7 feet long, but head on at that distance looked VERY big. Now, I had the Grouper in one hand, the stringer in the other, my unloaded gun with another freeshaft was lying on the bottom a few feet away, my powerhead was in my wetsuit sleeve. I remember thinking "this could be bad". After a few seconds, which seemed like an hour and half, the shark turned and casually swam away. I has a lot of air left, and ordinarily, would have continued to hunt, but in this instance I headed for the boat. Over the years, I have had quite a few shark related episodes, but this one has always stood out in my memory.

skipjackchris.png This was my best kill. A skipjack (mamulan) weighing 25lb. I dropped over the edge and found a shallow cave with this fish swimming side to side like an arcade game. I shot and my spear hit him and fell out to the bottom. At first I freaked out but then saw the fish was paralized. The spear contacted his spine. He looks big in the picture but it looked really big underwater. Adventure-Ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom