my first attempt at bug hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tenacious

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I took the advice posted in one of my other thread and contacted Steve-O from Treasure coast dive charters in Ft. pierce. We headed out for an afternoon trip despite 3 other guys bailing. That was a very stand up move in my opinion. I doubt a whole lot of charter boats would have left the dock with 1 passenger, thanks again Steve!
The other guys bailing did give me the opportunity to get a one on one lesson from a pro, which was great. We broke the inlet and headed for the first of many stops. My first attempt didn't go great, the bug ended up with a haircut and its freedom... next try and I was successful, but the bug was too small to bag...
We bounced around to a few more spots, but there were either small bugs or the area was totally picked clean. I got to play with some bugs and see how they act underwater while being poked with a stick which was good for me.
I learned a ton since 6 hours ago I had never seen a bug let alone caught one. Steve gave me a ton of info, tips, tricks, etc. I now feel like I actually have a chance to pluck dinner from the reefs. Steve definitely knows his $hit and today wont be my last time on his boat.

vis varied between what I would call 15-25ft depending on where we were.
water temp was 70ish
nothing made the cooler, but plenty made it to my brain, so it was a real good day.

my hats off to Steve-oh, he tried his ass off and took the time to educate a new guy all while on a trip that most guys wouldn't have taken.

sounds like you had a great time....congrats on your first bug hunting affair....there's always next time before the end of march to get your six.

yup... and i would check out Chiefy's book "Catching the Bug" -- you can pick it up at most dive shops around here. Lots of good information and Chiefy does seminars closer to mini-season.

3 basic techniques i've seen people use:
1:bare handed
2: net & ticklestick
3: snare.

ALWAYS CHECK FOR EGGS BEFORE YOU EXIT THE WATER -- use a light if you need to. it's not worth the trouble.... FWC can and will check and the have the same enforcement powers as a state trooper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom