Wooden Speargun open or closed muzzle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Construction Nut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking at getting a wooden speargun. I was thinking AB Biller or JBL. Any other suggestions. I was also wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are between open vs closed muzzle.

It really depends on what type of spearing you plan on doing. Those two guns you mentioned have come a long way in the last several years. However, they are still really suited best for freeshafting on scuba, in fairly clear water. I have been building spearguns as a hobby for about 10 years, and for a recreational spearfisherman I really see no benefit to having an open track with enclosed muzzle. Might as well just get a wood gun with a fully enclosed track. It is much more versatile.

I am looking at getting a wooden speargun. I was thinking AB Biller or JBL. Any other suggestions. I was also wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are between open vs closed muzzle.

We don't sell wooden spearguns. Wood guns tend to be more expensive and require some maintenance of the wood stock if used extensively. Many of the most beautiful custom spearguns are made from wood, but not everyone agrees that this is the best material for a new diver who may have a limited budget.

If you are open to the idea of an aluminum barrel gun, we hope you will take a look at the selection that we have put together at MAKO Spearguns.

Regardless of what type or brand of speargun you select, it is important that you select the proper size gun. If you are diving in New England coastal waters, your visibility tends to be limited, so most people would select a 90 cm gun. A gun of this size with the option of two bands has the ability to take any fish you can encounter in that area and still not be too long or cumbersome to swing in relatively low visibility. A 90 cm gun is a good size for visibility from maybe 7 to 20 feet or so.

MAKO Spearguns sells gear direct via our website. We have no domestic retail stores, no middle man so no typical retail mark up. With this kind of model we can offer excellent quality and very competitive prices.

You might also be interested to know that our guns are built on the day you order them in our facility in Virginia. Each speargun band is hand tied the day you place the order (that is why you can specify longer, medium or short (most powerful) bands and we don't charge extra. This ensures you get the bands that you want and you are assured that they are FRESH latex bands, not ones that have been sitting on the shelf in a dive shop for a year or more.

Check out this link if you are interested:

http://www.makospearguns.com/why-buy-a-mako-speargun_a/290.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom