Anyone ever swam with sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl_

Registered
Reaction score
I have seen lots of GoPro shark videos. Its on my bucket list to swim with a shark and not just in a cage at the aquarium. Whether its whale sharks in Cancun, or sand sharks in the Keys, I want to swim with them. Some of you people reading this may think i am crazy but i know the risks. Sharks are probably the most misunderstood animal. I mean yes they are terrifying but also can be calm creatures. Their gills, dorsal fin, and how many rows of teeth they have is just amazing. I think it would be an extraodinary experience to witness them glide pass you or swallow a fish alive. So, if any of you divers have witnnessed this please tell us your secret place or ability to get close to this marine animal.:)

Molokini, off the coast of Maui is usually a 'sure thing' for white tip reef sharks. I've done 4 days of diving with Scuba Shack and we've seen sharks all but one of the 8 dives. Scuba Shack is a great dive op for beginners. Good rental equipment, nice boat, DM in the water as a guide for small groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've enjoyed my time with the sand tigers off North Carolina

SAND_TIGER_CLOSEUP1_ATLAS.jpgSAND_TIGER_CLOSEUP_ATLAS.jpg

You can get up close and personal with some sharks at Epcot center. It's a guaranteed shark encounter, although the divemsters frown on touching the sharks. Their biggest are sand tigers around 10', and are not the least bit shy.

In general, sharks are part of saltwater diving-------after all, they're @ the top of the food chain, so not too many 'secret places(s)' out there.....Con't diving & you'll find your way/place of getting close to 'em.......I would say have 'a little to offer 'em' with you could get some results.....

No secret below----Beqa Lagoon, Fiji 2010(sometimes the tiger's are present, sometimes not)...avatar pic is from Roatan ~2001..

13647034524_eae4070989.jpg
[/URL]14 ft. Tiger shark...Beqa Lagoon, Fiji by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Plenty of Caribbean reef sharks in the Bahamas to swim free with. We used to have blue sharks all over the place here on Catalina back in the 60s and 70s but now they are a rare sighting. So sad.

The only real risk increasing factor I see in diving with sharks is taking down a little something for them - sharks show up when sharks want to, think of each dive as maybe this time will be sharky...and each dive that you do see sharks as a blessing. Also not sure why this is in the underwater hunting section......underwater hunting and diving with sharks to my mind is counter indicative.
As others have pointed out there are sharks all over the world, or aquarium dives if you want a guaranteed or your money back shark dive.
Personally, I prefer to travel around and find good shark diving spots - try French Polynesia in the Tuomoto Archipeligo for more sharks than you can count each dive. One of the few places left in the world where sightings arent rare but a given.

Plenty of Caribbean reef sharks in the Bahamas to swim free with. We used to have blue sharks all over the place here on Catalina back in the 60s and 70s but now they are a rare sighting. So sad.

Grand Bahama Island is great place. you have the big ops, Stuart Cove (tiger sharks) and Unexo. the do shark feedings. But I prefer the smaller ops that take you to some of the same sites and you actually swim with them, no feedings involved. Went out to shark alley 3 times and saw plenty every time.

[video=youtube_share;Y8xRMi3OGxc]http://youtu.be/Y8xRMi3OGxc[/video]

It's a long way for you to go, but there's a site in Cape Town, South Africa where sightings of Broadnose Sevengill sharks are very common -- about 75% of dives, except for a few months in winter when they go who-knows-where. Here's a pic I took there some time last year:

PICT0024.jpg

They don't have the classic sharky dorsal fin and generally swim quite slowly, just lurking in the kelp forest. They can move at quite a pace when they want to, though.

Back
Top Bottom