Spearfishing on Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone know if there are any states or locales that prohibit spearfishing on scuba? Is there any logical/scientific/rational reason for some countries in the world to prohibit spearfishing on scuba when, at the same time, it doesn't makes the same restriction on spearfishing while free-diving

You can't in the Bahamas, and you can only use a Hawaiian sling or pole spear, no guns! I'm not familiar with the regs in other states, but you can't spearfish gamefish in state waters (9 miles out) in Texas.

I meant in the US. Also, the prohibition in these TX water applies to both, free diving and scuba, correct? I am talking about laws that prohibits spearfishing on scuba but allows it on free diving.

Some consider it unsporting since many fish are not that wary of being approached. Abalone and (maybe) some other invertebrates here in California are similarly restricted to free diving only. Too easy to take otherwise.

Fish can hear and sense scuba divers much faster than free divers for sure. The regulator scuba divers use is noisy enough that gives fish warning long before they can "hear" the free diver.

I understand the restriction for abalone but I am talking more about spearfishing and using a gun to catch fish.

Fish can hear and sense scuba divers much faster than free divers for sure. The regulator scuba divers use is noisy enough that gives fish warning long before they can "hear" the free diver.

I understand the restriction for abalone but I am talking more about spearfishing and using a gun to catch fish.
True, just beside the point :wink:

But fish identify a scuba diver with an underwater tourist not a hunter! :) kinda takes the fun out of the hunt.

I don't know I'm not a fish :wink: maybe they can tell by the noise and lack of bubbles? I know when I scuba dive, snapper will swim right past me but when i'm free diving they won't come anywhere near me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom