CDFW Warden Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrapp15

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I am a recent college graduate looking to pursue a career that utilizes my bachelors degree and my love (and experience) in the outdoors. I've been looking into things such as commercial diving, scientific diving, environmental conservation, as well as the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, particularly the cadet program. All of it looks very intriguing and I feel that I am well qualified for the career but I have a few questions mostly regarding the application process. I've been to the website but unfortunately it tends to be a bit confusing and offers little assistance. They do offer the email of a Capt. but I'm sure he receives plenty of emails per day and may not have time to get to my questions right away. Judging by the time frames required for the various steps involved I believe that starting the application process ASAP will be to my advantage but I would like a few questions answered before I "dive" right in....pun totally intended :)

If you are a warden or somehow affiliated with someone who would be good to talk to about this subject please message me or preferably email me @ lrapp15@gmail.com

Well think of it this way, you are smart enough to understand that those typical paths to get a job will not work. You need to sit down in the corner of a quiet room and think.... Then think some more.

How can you get in contact with the person you want to work for and what is his name? The person that answers this question and is qualified will get the job. Maybe there is no job, and he will make one for you.

Make a guess; how many job opening are never posted.... yep, now you are thinking....

Sometimes the answer to this is a stepping stone process as one clue. As a person who used to pick candidates for job openings ( And No I was NOT an HR person), you always give the leg up to the person that can track you down. If he/she is smart enough to track me down and go to that effort, just be willing to work a little harder than the herd of sheep looking for a job.

I should be easier to track down, I will help you some if you give me a call. -Linghunt

Hello,
I am a recent college graduate looking to pursue a career that utilizes my bachelors degree and my love (and experience) in the outdoors. I've been looking into things such as commercial diving, scientific diving, environmental conservation, as well as the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, particularly the cadet program.

I work as a professional biologist, and I get questions similar to this quite a bit.

First off I would encourage you to think about what you REALLY want to do. When I look at your list, I see 3 very different things. Commercial diving, I usually think of as construction and salvage. Scientific diving (very specialized generally) and environmental conservation are typically difficult to break into, and you are generally looking at advanced degrees before you can get a job that will pay the bills. Dept of Fish and Wildlife is a good thing, but there aren't many game wardens in California, and the job is much different than what a lot of people think.

I would talk to the captain. Stop by the local CDFW office. Scientific diving is going to be through Universities mostly, so talk to professors. Ask questions, maek contacts, maybe that will give you clarity.

Also, the career fields you are talking about are competitive, well qualified or not. Start applying now.

What is your degree and experience? All of this can have major impacts on your chances.

Never heard from him, Guess he found a Job.

I met a PhD Marine Biologist the other day. Got to make him some specialized parts for his work. Very interesting person and super smart as expected. I wish I had his job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom