Where to LEGALLY spearfish in Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfdiver140

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested in spearfishing in Monterey, where can I legally spearfish in the Monterey area. I certainly understand seasons that I got but what area's are closed to no spearfishing at all and what is open. Is spearfishing still legal at Monastary Beach? Carmel River state beach, Carmel Bay? thank you

It's a complicated map, but we have the brochure that shows open spearfishing areas at Breakwater Scuba on Cannery Row. You're welcome to stop by and pick one up.

And while I can't speak to Carmel River or Carmel Bay I believe Monastery Beach is closed. You need to be north of Ribera Road.

-Adrian

Last edited:
Great thank you I will check it out

---------- Post added June 11th, 2014 at 03:33 PM ----------

It's a complicated map, but we have the brochure that shows open spearfishing areas at Breakwater Scuba on Cannery Row. You're welcome to stop by and pick one up.

And while I can't speak to Carmel River or Carmel Bay I believe Monastery Beach is closed. You need to be north of Ribera Road.

-Adrian
Thank you....it is complicated for sure......Monastery was always a great place to spear.

I am interested in spearfishing in Monterey, where can I legally spearfish in the Monterey area. I certainly understand seasons that I got but what area's are closed to no spearfishing at all and what is open. Is spearfishing still legal at Monastary Beach? Carmel River state beach, Carmel Bay? thank you
Hello, I know this is a very old thread but feel the question is a common one and I just wanted to post a clear and updated answer. I took the time to map out the 2 zones in the area that you can legally spearfish in 2019 according to the DFW. I marked the areas with stars to give the rough outline. Hope this can help people. Certainly helped me.
This is the zone in Monterey that you can legally spearfish.
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 1.10.36 PM.png
This is the area of Carmel Bay that you can spearfish.
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 1.20.04 PM.png

coral st/otter cove/lovers 3 have gotten hit hard by urchin. haven't seen much other than a few halibut.

carmel river state/stillwater/butterfly and copper roof are still in reasonable shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom