Understanding what kind of speargun to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldenred

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I guess it would be important for you to know what it is I plan on using the gun for before you can help me. I plan on hunting cobia, grouper, snapper when legal, flounder and other bottom fish. What length and how much power will I need? Thanks

I guess it would be important for you to know what it is I plan on using the gun for before you can help me. I plan on hunting cobia, grouper, snapper when legal, flounder and other bottom fish. What length and how much power will I need? Thanks

For reasonably clear water and very strong fish like cobia, you are going to want a powerful speargun. We would recommend a 110 cm gun with two bands and a single wrap of shooting line... assuming you are scuba diving. If the visibility is expected to be less than 15 or 20 ft visibility, a 90 cm with a similar configuration would probably be better.

A shorter gun is easier to swing and handle than a long one. However, if the water is clear, there is no substitute for the additional power and range of a longer gun.

A 110 cm is a very popular choice, since grouper and snapper are often targeted under ledges and in these situations, a very long gun becomes a disadvantage.

If you are looking for your first gun (and your budget allows it) you may want to consider the enclosed track AR-15 gun. This gun is extremely well built, has an entirely stainless steel trigger mechanism, housing, safety, sear etc. The enclosed track barrel, makes the gun extremely easy and fast to reload, this means you will learn to use this gun faster than other designs.

If you check out out Facebook, you will see photos of many customers who have taken nice cobia and groupers and jacks and other powerful fish.

http://www.makospearguns.com/AR15-American-Speargun-Enclosed-Track-p/maetr.htm

MAETR-2.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Mako speargun!

Diving conditions depend on several things round here. How far we go out being the biggest one. Water can be pretty dirty depending on the tide, weather etc. Start out at the 20 mile reefs in 60' where it can be a hit or miss on vis from 10' - 30' which is about where our green water starts. Hit the 40 mile numbers in 75-110' where the blue water starts and water is much better with vis being 15' on a bad day to 40'+ on a good day. Will usually be on the 40 mile numbers when weather allows.

For those conditions you want a banded speargun. (To answer your question in the other thread).
I would get a 120cm or 48-54 inch for that visibility.
I've never shot a Mako but use their bands, rigging gear, etc.. and it's all good stuff.

I prefer wood guns but that's me. Probably because it's all I've ever used.
Thousands of guys just starting out have killed thousands of fish with Biller 48's and still use them today. I still have mine as backup but graduated to enclosed closed track guns.

If your short on cash get a Mako or Biller (in that order).
If your long on cash, get a Koah, Riffe, Blacktip, Deathstick, Hatch.

A couple of things to keep in mind first off:
-Essentially any speargun is capable of killing any fish you care to hunt (Ex. a small single band gun pressed against a tuna's head will kill the thing), a lot of it boils down to personal preferences. A lot of this will come to effective range (bigger gun, longer range), components, and aesthetics (I like wood guns myself).
-As others have alluded to: different tools for different jobs. Personally, I would not use a gun I had chosen for grouper, cobia and snapper on flounder and other bottom fish. I personally own 2 guns and want more.

The best spearfisherman I know tends to only use guns he can buy used, with a single band, and he SLAYS fish. When I guided upland bird hunts, I would outshoot men with $5000+ dollar shotguns with my bought used $200 shotgun. My point is, a lot of it isn't the tool... it's the user.

If you're just starting out, a 90 to 120 cm gun would do you just fine... based on the fish you said you're targeting. Mako makes a great gun... probably the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I prefer two 5/8" (16mm) bands for guns of this size. My go-to gun for the spearing I do is a 45" rear handle I built myself... for the same fish you mentioned.

If you're just starting out, a 90 to 120 cm gun would do you just fine... based on the fish you said you're targeting. Mako makes a great gun... probably the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I prefer two 5/8" (16mm) bands for guns of this size. My go-to gun for the spearing I do is a 45" rear handle I built myself... for the same fish you mentioned.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom