Noob headed to Florida this Friday, Need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonnylynnvick75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm brand new to spearfishing, I just bought an 80inch pole spear last week. I'm headed to Fort Myers beach this upcoming Friday and need some advice so I'll make a list

1) Is there going to be anything I can get from a shore dive or do I need to charter a boat?

2) I spoke with Reel 1 up and I can do a guided hunt including a speargun for right about $225. Anyone have any experience with this charter?

3) I'm trying to have fun and spend as little money as I can so what will be my best option?

4) Any advice on being fresh with a pole spear? I have already put a grip on it.

Generally, there are not very many places on the Gulf coast, where you can shore dive and get to much you would want to spear. If somebody gives you specific local information, it may be worth checking out. However, this is our thunderstorm season and the waters close to shore tend to get turned up and have very poor visibility. If you can find a time where there have been gentle breezes (or none) from onshore for several days. the visibility improves. It just doesn't happen much this time of year.

Mike

Generally, there are not very many places on the Gulf coast, where you can shore dive and get to much you would want to spear. If somebody gives you specific local information, it may be worth checking out. However, this is our thunderstorm season and the waters close to shore tend to get turned up and have very poor visibility. If you can find a time where there have been gentle breezes (or none) from onshore for several days. the visibility improves. It just doesn't happen much this time of year.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm assuming your opinion would be to take the charter? He said it would include a guide, quick class, and speargun.

Yes, if you can afford it, I think you will have a much better time, and are more likely to get a true taste of spearfishing!

Mike

Have you visited Spearboard.com? There is a sub-forum dedicated to the gulf side of Florida... lots of help there from local spearos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom