Lionfish Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I took my first hit last week from lionfish. It's got me thinking about gear changes. There are 3 things I want to change.

1) Get a zookeeper as an upgrade from the lame Mako Spearguns lionfish/lobster hotel bag.
2) Get a longer spear. I have the Mako 3ft spear. I want a longer one where you can pick the length by screwing the pieces together or not.
3) Gloves. I want some gloves which provide additional protection.

On topic #3, does anyone have any advice? I was thinking along the lines of something like this:
Wells Lamont 551L Cut Resistant Work Gloves, Kevlar Glove Dipped in Nitrile Rubber, Large - Cut Resistant Safety Gloves - Amazon.com

I'm curious if it would help prevent a poke in the rubber area.

I saw someone filet lionfish without cutting the poisonous fins, but had kevlar gloves on. It got me thinking, why can't I just wear something like that underwater? Thoughts?

MrChen,
I read your other post on getting hit. I can tell most of the hits I have seen are from people putting them in a container or pulling them out. Below is a link to some other gloves. I have never used them so I don't know how good they are.

Product 1002. Lionfish Gloves - SafeSpear

Thanks, I'll look into them a further and see if I can find where they can be purchased.

Thanks, I'll look into them a further and see if I can find where they can be purchased.

I have some of the hexarmor gloves, and I don't use them underwater. They are certainly puncture resistant, but are very thick and cause a lot of dexterity loss during a dive. I do use them when handling the fish above water though. REEF sells them here: Hex Armor Puncture Resistant Gloves | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF).

The zookeepers are the bomb! I can take and store 3 lionfish in under a minute easily, and that includes getting the spear out. Way better than the 3 minute, 2 person job/ fish it was with bags. After getting stung a couple times trying to get them in the bags, we started giving them "haircuts" while they were still on the spear, prior to going in the bag. Made it safer, but took forever.

-Chris

I bought a longer spear already. The zookeeper is next. Thanks for the hex armor link.

MrChen. If you get the gloves let me know what you think. I want protection but I'd also like for them to be useful while diving as well.

Will do. Concentrating on mini-season for the moment. I saw 4 LF on my dives Friday and it pained me to not be able to kill them because I left my spear at home. *sigh*...

Hammerhead has some Dyneema gloves that are reported to be excellent, cut and puncture resistant with good dexterity.

I like the price point on the hammerheads more. Thank you for contributing.

I couldn't wait, I ordered the Hammerhead gloves. They should arrive tomorrow. I'll use them during lobster mini season in a couple of weeks and will report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom