First spearfishing trip was a success.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonnylynnvick75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Took my first spearfishing trip with Reel1up charter out of Naples Fl. Took 3 sheepshead between 2 dive sites. I feel like it was a pretty productive first spearfishing trip. Now to start freshwater spearing in the lakes and river up here :D
IMG_2690.jpgIMG_2688.jpgIMG_2691.jpgIMG_2687.jpg

Cool, I eat those things, but many people won't.. As for spearing in lakes in georgia.. is that allowed.. I am going to lake lanier soon. Can you use a gun there?

Shhhhh, go easy on the Sheephead praise.
With virtually every fish out of season except lionfish, menhaden and hardhead catfish, the sheeps are all I have left to eat other than the occasional cobia.
If the public knows they are good, there will soon be a limit on them too, like triggerfish...

You now have the bug :) Eat well.

Cool, I eat those things, but many people won't.. As for spearing in lakes in georgia.. is that allowed.. I am going to lake lanier soon. Can you use a gun there?

I love to eat sheephead. My grandfather grew up in the 40s on an island off the coast of Yankeetown florida. He used to cook them up for us whenever we had a fish fry. As far as spearing in Georgia, you may use a gun and here are the further regulations :
"Spearing" is the use of a handheld spear or similar device and the use of a weapon, other than a firearm, which propels a projectile to which a wire, rope, line, or other means of recovering the projectile is attached and secured to the weapon or the person using the weapon.
Only nongame fish may be speared in freshwater and are not to be sold or used for commercial purposes.
It is illegal to spear game fish and all species of catfish.
A sport fishing license is required to spear fish in freshwater.
The person spearing fish must be completely submerged when in the act of spearing fish.
Spear fishing for any species is prohibited in the marked areas around five fish refuges in Lake Seminole and three fish refuges in Lake Blackshear from May 1 - October 31.
Basically you can take bluegill, shad, other fish like that. If you want catfish, come up to Tennessee where spearing catfish are legal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom