Lionfish first aid kit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would like some advice on putting a Lionfish sting kit together. Several weeks back I was diving and through personnel stupidity took a spine in my finger. When I got back on the boat I had a temporary relief captain and precious minutes were wasted finding the generic first aid kit. I eventually used a cheap dry hand warmer pack (my personnel purchase), which did not get very hot and took about 5 minutes to get up to temp (15 minutes after the sting and I doubt provided any effect) and then an unknown amount of Ibuprofen (somewhere between 2000 and 3200 mg, but that’s another story) needless to say I went into a little shock at +45 minutes, which a I was able to resolve, and was then the proud recipient of about 6 hours of throbbing pain plus a week later a staph infection. At plus two weeks all is well and in 10 days I am heading south with the goal of killing all of them.
I would like to put together a quick kit for first aid and venom neutralization. So far I have purchased one ‘Hotshotz‘ reusable hand warmer and tried it out tonight. I was impressed with the initial temp of 125-130F (good, but not as good a Thermos of hot water) but ordered a second one as I think that after 15 minutes the peak temp starts rolling off and a second one at + 10 minutes would be better. I also plan to pack a quick dose package with 1 Tylenol (500 mg) 4 Ibuprofen (800 mg) and a Hydrocodone and a couple Band-Aids and triple antibiotic ointment. The idea is to reduce as much venom protein as possible, as early as possible with the heat and use the Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. The Tylenol and Vicodin would be a basic relief for the pain; with the idea if I get hit again I plan to be at the emergency room within two hours begging more pain meds. Does this sound like a reasonable basic kit?
Another item I was also wondering about was should I add a single Benadryl to the mix for basic anti-allergic effect?
The above mix is based upon an average adult with no allergies and average physical condition, outside of US liability. Any advice would be welcome.

I would like some advice on putting a Lionfish sting kit together. Several weeks back I was diving and through personnel stupidity took a spine in my finger. When I got back on the boat I had a temporary relief captain and precious minutes were wasted finding the generic first aid kit. I eventually used a cheap dry hand warmer pack (my personnel purchase), which did not get very hot and took about 5 minutes to get up to temp (15 minutes after the sting and I doubt provided any effect) and then an unknown amount of Ibuprofen (somewhere between 2000 and 3200 mg, but that’s another story) needless to say I went into a little shock at +45 minutes, which a I was able to resolve, and was then the proud recipient of about 6 hours of throbbing pain plus a week later a staph infection. At plus two weeks all is well and in 10 days I am heading south with the goal of killing all of them.
I would like to put together a quick kit for first aid and venom neutralization. So far I have purchased one ‘Hotshotz‘ reusable hand warmer and tried it out tonight. I was impressed with the initial temp of 125-130F (good, but not as good a Thermos of hot water) but ordered a second one as I think that after 15 minutes the peak temp starts rolling off and a second one at + 10 minutes would be better. I also plan to pack a quick dose package with 1 Tylenol (500 mg) 4 Ibuprofen (800 mg) and a Hydrocodone and a couple Band-Aids and triple antibiotic ointment. The idea is to reduce as much venom protein as possible, as early as possible with the heat and use the Ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. The Tylenol and Vicodin would be a basic relief for the pain; with the idea if I get hit again I plan to be at the emergency room within two hours begging more pain meds. Does this sound like a reasonable basic kit?
Another item I was also wondering about was should I add a single Benadryl to the mix for basic anti-allergic effect?
The above mix is based upon an average adult with no allergies and average physical condition, outside of US liability. Any advice would be welcome.

Very sorry to hear of your very bad experience. We have a basic kit with the re-usable heat packs..

Lionfish Sting First Aid Kit

LSFAK-2.jpg

While disinfecting the wound is good, most antibiotic ointments are less advised as they are known to sensbilise and so cause allergies. And it would be better to prevent the infection with alcohol. So the antibiotic can be left out. Also it is not an allergic reaction, so imo the antihistamine will not benefit you.
The heat pack is the most important part of the set up.
While redundancy is good, the heat pack here is not for treating the pain but to break down the protein in the venom (like boiling an egg :) ) I think once the egg is boiled it does not help to continue boiling it. So one heat pack will suffice.

Back
Top Bottom