Southern California Lobster Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiver2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello all. I am looking to go on my first lobster hunt tomorrow night. I have my fishing lisence and report card and all the necessary gear. Only problem is I do not know where I can dive from the beach and hunt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hello all. I am looking to go on my first lobster hunt tomorrow night. I have my fishing lisence and report card and all the necessary gear. Only problem is I do not know where I can dive from the beach and hunt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Really ? (assuming you're not a troll and your profile is correct).

Shooting for a Darwin prize?

I am not sure why that question would ellicit such a response John. I am sorry for being such a newb, didn't realize that asking questions would be met with hostility on this site.

Last edited:
Night dive and hunting for the first time at unfamiliar waters (alone?)...not at all a good combination...

Sent from Tapatalk mobile

I am not sure why that question would ellicit such a response John. I am sorry for being such a newb, didn't realize that asking questions would be met with hostility on this site. GFY

So lets run this out. You have been (or should have been) following the threads about California divers dying hunting lobsters. There seems to be a common theme of inexperienced or long-interval since last dive divers getting into trouble.

So you're talking about going to an unfamiliar site, without an experienced partner (I'm giving you credit for bringing along a dive buddy), without a great deal of experience night diving (the critters are primarily nocturnal).

What could possibly go wrong?

Okay maybe I should have elaborated. I am diving with a buddy who is very experienced but has only been lobster hunting off of dive boats. I have gone on several night dives but primarily in Laguna beach (a no take zone). Our plan was to leave work and get a dive in while the sun was out to investigate the site (we're off at 4pm and as long as the site is local that leaves us plenty of daylight hours). Then if we feel comfortable attempt another dive later in the evening. I am only trying to research where we should dive. If this still sounds like a poor plan then by all means let me know.

FileHandler.ashx

Southern California Marine Protected Areas

Nothing may be taken in Laguna Beach State Marine Reserve.

Nowhere in the OP did I see him say anything about diving alone. With that said, I agree that diving for bugs at night in unfamiliar waters could prove to be a problem. Hopefully your buddy is experienced and will stick close. Bug diving (like underwater imaging) tends to separate even the best of buddy pairs. Thanks, Phil, for posting the MPA map.

So we decided to cancel the dive on account of poor conditions in Dana Point. The waves were larger than we would have preferred and we erred on the side of caution. Drbill I appreciate your advise and I will be sure to not only stick close to my buddy when we do end up lobster hunting, but also have a plan in case we do get separated (surface and locate each other asap).

I am very much looking forward to when I can go hunt, but I will not risk my life for a meal. I will also heed everyones advise and attempt to get a few dives in at our site during daylight hours to really become familiar with the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom