Pole Spear or ELF tool for lionfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedgehog47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't want to carry a huge five-six foot pole with me, I'm mainly diving for lobster but would be ok clipping an ELF tool or short pole spear for occasional lionfish spearing. Wondering if one is advised over the other... I kinda like the way the ELF tool functions but there's no real reviews on it. I don't mind having to get close to the fish to spear it.

I and my group of Lionfish Assasins use a JBL D6 with a Lionfish Paralyzer 6 prong tip.
It is DEVASTATING!
I discovered that I needed to actually file off the barbs of the three interior prongs as 6 barbs was too much to remove the Lions easily.

The pole spears and such are good, but are about worthless for the big, smart, avoidant, fatties, that often hide way back in the reef.
Sometimes you really need to reach back in there in order to extract the little bastages.

Chug
Eats 'em.
No Ciguatara so far.

I've killed hundreds of lion fish with a plain ole Hawaiian sling pole spear. I like the simplicity.. Never tried an ELF...

lion_fish_polespear_lg.jpg

..... Wondering if one is advised over the other...

How many ELF's have you seen on your dive boats compared to polespears? Probably none because the ELF has less control of the lion versus's a 3 prong polespear that you can control when the LF is thrashing. Go to Florida Freedivers on US 1 just down from Lake Park Marina and get the 28" short 3 prong polespear for $30. Polespear 2.5' x 1/2 Fiberglass Paralyzer Tip : Florida Freedivers

If you want to eat the lions (which are tasty) get a ZooKeeper.

After you get both, let us know and we'll show you some tricks on how to one handed polespear & stow lions while still holding your looper(or gun) in your other hand. Or you can just come to the seminar at the blue wild ( The Blue Wild Ocean Adventure Expo) in 8 weeks and see the seminar on it. We've caught a few.

attachment.php

lion14.jpg

I like the JBL D-36 pole spear, they used to make a d-32 which was better in close confines. With a paralyzer tip it makes for a good combo. I use a 1/2" piece of PET pipe as a throttle for hitting the small ones.

Foldspear is what you need. Google and check it out. I have one and would buy another one in an instant.

Back
Top Bottom