It’s Back! Seismic Testing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
Good news on the proposed Seismic Survey off Barnegat Inlet later this summer. “NSF has decided to extend the public comment period by an additional 15 days above and beyond the 37 days it was planned to be open for comment. The public comment period will now close on February 9, 2015, 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time.”Last year’s attempt was stymied by equipment failure and to our knowledge no announcement or warning was issued to our community. Please let them know what you think of this situation by sending an email comment to:

nsfcommentnj@nsf.gov

We are searching for studies done on the effects of their equipment on recreational divers and will post and inform our community when the final Environmental Assessment has been published. The proposed Environmental Assessment can be found here:

http://www.nsf.gov/geo/oce/envcomp/amended_mountain_nj_margin_ex_draft_18dec14-b.pdf

Soooo, the thread you had before with the same posts wasn't enough?

Don't like people commenting when it doesn't align with your point of view?

Why do you feel the need to post this in 3 different forums?

Mods...can we merge these and put them in whine and cheese?

Last edited:
Soooo, the thread you had before with the same posts wasn't enough?

Don't like people commenting when it doesn't align with your point of view?

Why do you feel the need to post this in 3 different forums?

Mods...can we merge these and put them in whine and cheese?
Looks like your backyard is about to get “LOUD”:

Oil and gas exploration off Va. coast a step closer - Richmond.com: Business

Opinion - Unlock energy potential for Virginia and nation, Randall Luthi - NOIA

Seismic Surveys | Virginia Energy Forum

Unlock energy potential for Virginia and nation | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

http://www.boem.gov/BOEM-2014-001-v1/

Unlike you, I understand why they are doing it.

I'm military by the way...this isn't 10% of the noise I'm exposed to every day at work.

Unlike you, I understand why they are doing it.

I'm military by the way...this isn't 10% of the noise I'm exposed to every day at work.
My posts are not about the “why”. It is about keeping recreational divers safe who may be exposed to these surveys while diving. The available research on the effects of airguns on recreational divers is near non-existent.

I am ex-military, but was not a military diver, are you? Underwater exposure to high decibel levels is much different than in air.

Do you have a valid reference for your assertion that noise underwater is more dangerous than noise on land?

Let me be more clear mr troll,

Provide a written example of how noise affects humans more severely underwater vice on land assuming the same intensity. You can provide in text citations.

Throwing out 20 articles that have nothing to do with the question asked is only convincing me to block you so I don't have to read your ignorant troll posts.

I suspect NJ diver is not aware that underwater sound and in-air sound are not even measured on the same scale, so (for example) 120 dB sounds uw are not the same loudness as 120 dB sounds in air. But I suspect he doesn't care to be accurate anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom