Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone else keep their pole spear or spear gun handy for a second use as a weapon for home defense?

I always keep my spear gun next to my bed as well as a sharp pole spear as a home protection measure.
I don't have the spear gun loaded, but I can do it very quickly if I had to. I always maintain the tip on it very sharp.
My pole spear is a 5 foot jbl also has a very sharp tip on it, and it would probably be my first choice because it is longer and just as lethal.

Its seems perfectly good to have this instead of a loaded gun in your bed room, as long as the spear gun is not loaded.

Would you or do you do this? If not, I would like to know why would it be a bad idea.

Are you going to tell the intruder to "hang on a sec while I load my spear gun."? He might die from laughter... like I am right now.

I like the idea of putting the spear through a burglar, leaving him hanging on the wall.... and then being able to use the Swartzenegger line....."Stick Around " :)
Don't know about your house, but with mine it would take any burgler a long time to break in....plenty of time to be ready for them.

Are you going to tell the intruder to "hang on a sec while I load my spear gun."? He might die from laughter... like I am right now.

Actually my first choice was to reach for the pole spear and If there is more time, then I would then grab the gun. I can load that thing pretty quickly I would only have to put one band on it any way, its really not that difficult. I have a jbl 38 special the shaft and tip are already on it. All I do is pull down on one band and that guy is history. I am not to sure if that guy would laughing after that!

I think its better than the alternative a base ball bat or a regular gun.

I like the idea of a speargun. Maybe have a few razor sharp freeshafts ready.
My dog would sound off as soon as someone walked up the driveway or was in my backyard which would give me time to load, I only need about 10 seconds or less.
Guns are loud and bullets can stray into other homes, etc.

My dad had an attempted burgulary years ago while he was sleeping at 3 AM. The two punks climbed on top of an awning and tried to get into the second story bedroom window while he was sleeping. The racket woke him up and when he saw one of the punks face to face through the window he forgot there was glass and attemped to punch the scum in the face but smashed the glass instead in his rage. Both pukes freaked and ran.
From then on he kept a machette by his bed and swore he was going to lay in wait and butcher the turds if they ever tried it again (Russians tend to be very dramatic and draconian in their views on life).

I like the idea of putting the spear through a burglar, leaving him hanging on the wall.... and then being able to use the Swartzenegger line....."Stick Around " :)
Don't know about your house, but with mine it would take any burgler a long time to break in....plenty of time to be ready for them.

Yeah my house is not enormous about 1800 square feet but what I do have are two very alert dogs who would give me a heads up warning at the very least with no problem at all. The intruder would not have the luxury of laughing if he comes to visit my house.

.....Its seems perfectly good to have this ....

I'll play....On the shaft would you have a single flopper, double or a slip tip? For your bed gun are you freeshafting, line shaft with 400 mono or a Rob Allen reel with 60 meters of dyneema? (of course you would preset the drag). Personally, I think I'd go with a Mori slip tip on the shaft and then a stainless cable riding rig attached to the bed rail to slow him down and give me time to get a beverage to contemplate how big of a stringer I'm going to need. :cool2:

I'll play....On the shaft would you have a single flopper, double or a slip tip? For your bed gun are you freeshafting, line shaft with 400 mono or a Rob Allen reel with 60 meters of dyneema? (of course you would preset the drag). Personally, I think I'd go with a Mori slip tip on the shaft and then a stainless cable riding rig attached to the bed rail to slow him down and give me time to get a beverage to contemplate how big of a stringer I'm going to need. :cool2:

Free shaft with a flopper, super sharp tip. I might think about what kind of stringer to get complete my set up.

Actually, I think I would probably use a mono line on the end of the shaft, keep him from bolting and "holing up" somewhere in a neighbors yard.
To reel or not to reel, that is the question.
It might be fun to "play" him a while before reeling in and dispatching him.

A couple that Sandra and I ride bikes with alot, and are very good friends with, now living in Atlanta, had an actual home invasion burglary a month ago.....
So the wife goes out earlier than Carlos on her bike, before it is light out....Carlos is screwing around up on the 3rd floor, and sees someone messing with the front door...and looking like he was trying to get through the lockled door...big guy around 210 or so....Carlos gets his 357 magnum revolver, and cell phone and calls 911, asks for police immediately...says he does not want to shoot this guy, but if he gets in, he is going to shoot...2 minutes later the downstairs door bursts open, the whole door frame gives way, and the guy charges up the stairs.....Carlos is at the top of the stairs, and has the gun aimed down right at where he imagines the guy would end up if the door breaks....as the guy bursts in, Carlos already has the gun aimed , and pulls off one shot, aiming for center mass....the bullet hits the guy right in the top of the head, going through the head....a perfect kill shot !
The guy falls where he stood.
Police show up a few minutes later, and can instantly see it was a home invasion/burglary, and are very good with Carlos.

I tell him he did exactly the best thing, and should sleep like a baby after this.
While he feels this to be true also, their house has lost it's appeal for them to live in now...and they do not want to stay in Atlanta....

Moral is, a gun or speargun by the bed is a good idea.....an even better idea is that in addition, you really burglar proof all doors and windows. Make it nearly impossible for someone to break in, making it very time consuming and loud. They say the police are 5 minutes away, when you need them in 30 seconds....That's why you have the gun, AND the near burglar proof home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom