Lionfish Containment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
We are pleased to announce that we have expanded our line of Lionfish related products.

We already carry an excellent lionfish spear: Mako Lion Fish Killer Pole Spear

A Lionfish Sting First Aid kit: Lionfish Sting First Aid Kit

And now a Lionfish "Dungeon": Lionfish Dungeon | MAKO Spearguns

lionfish-dungeon.jpg

Lionfish Dungeon

The Lionfish Dungeon is a safe and efficient containment tool used for harvesting the invasive lionfish.
It is equipped with a one way trap door, allowing the diver to spear the venomous creatures and shove them into the tube while the lionfish is still on the spear tip.
The lionfish stays in the tube when the pole spear tip is pulled back out.
The Lionfish Dungeon includes a carrying handle, lanyard, clip and screw-on rear cap for easy removal of the lionfish.
Specifications:

Measures 19.5” long x 6” diameter

lionfish-dungeon-rear.jpg
Lionfish Dungeon rear screw-on cap

clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Left_Bottom.gif
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Right_Bottom.gif

clear1x1.gif

I think it's a neat product. If I lived in Florida I would use your products.

I also think (if legal) there could be a secondary product. If eradication is the primary goal would it be possible to create a small slurp gun with a 12 volt (high torque) macerator at the back end of the unit? This way everyone gets a meal and the Lionfish is no longer a reproductive threat. In saying that I could see a less-than-capable diver using slurp/macerator improperly also becoming a non-reproductive threat. :D

Just me maybe, but not sure I'd want a chum trail during my dive.

I think it's a neat product. If I lived in Florida I would use your products.

I also think (if legal) there could be a secondary product. If eradication is the primary goal would it be possible to create a small slurp gun with a 12 volt (high torque) macerator at the back end of the unit? This way everyone gets a meal and the Lionfish is no longer a reproductive threat. In saying that I could see a less-than-capable diver using slurp/macerator improperly also becoming a non-reproductive threat. :D

how about attaching a second loop at the bottom ? It seems like this would just dangle below you...

I don't see why the DIY guy couldn't drill two small holes toward the rear of the pipe walls and install a loop of heavy monofilament and/or a clip if someone wanted to have it clipped off in two locations.

In any regard thanks for looking ... and go KILL those LIONFISH.. preferably with this:

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mlfk.htm

MLFK-2.jpg

No - more of a Lobster Hotel with an extended inlet and a poly end cap. Cheaper than a ZooKeeper so maybe this will drive prices down to something a bit more reasonable

No - more of a Lobster Hotel with an extended inlet and a poly end cap. Cheaper than a ZooKeeper so maybe this will drive prices down to something a bit more reasonable

What? Lobster hotels have a mesh bag to hold bugs. This is a PVC type tube like Zoo Keeper but uses a lobster hotel entry design in the front. Like I said, re-engineered zookeeper.

Please buy this cheaper version and tell me how many of the small ones swim back out the front. It's been tried before. Great for big one's not for little ones.

Nothing against Mako but the zookeeper design is much better.

Unless you doing a rodeo and need the numbers why bother collecting the little ones? There's isnt enough meat for a decent sushi fillet - Shoot them, scrape them off and move on. The Zookeeper, while very nicely designed, is way overpriced for what it is - a screw top PVC tube and a funnel. I'm sure there was a lot of money invested in tooling and production but you can make your own for around $25 with a trip to Home Depot/Lowes. It won't be as nice for certain but will function exactly the same. I then used the $60 leftover and took a dive charter :)

Back
Top Bottom