Stringers - bringing 'em up with a meal in mind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnherrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got some good links to Lionfish spears, tips and s.steel shears.

What stringers do you like to use to haul them (up) for good eating? And how do your stringers attach to your kit?

....What stringers do you like to use to haul them (up) for good eating? And how do your stringers attach to your kit?

Lionfish group together and it's not unusual to find between 5 to 100+ on a dive site. Understand that it take ALOT of precious bottom time wasted on trimming the spines, when you could otherwise be shooting more lions. For this reason, most lion hunters use different sizes of the ZooKeeper that is sold at most dive shops. The video of how it works is here>> https://vimeo.com/31425377

Others have used lobster bags, etc with different results in different types of currents. (me included :fail: )

But if you still want to use a normal fish stringer, I'd suggest a steel hoop stringer and hand carry it. Since you'll be close to the sand shooting and eels, etc come out of hiding in structure, it's not a good idea to clip it to your body.

Just spearing a lionfish doesn't completely kill it and they can get very pissed underwater and will still try to spike you even if injured.

We can't always use a zookeeper due to drag but prefer them over bags in any case.
Stringers we leave on the ground and pick up with the speartip to keep it away from us.

What happens if you show up on Coz with a spear and a Zookeeper? Are they down with the hunt or do they discourage you?

Hi Chuck, this really depends on the dive operator. Some are open to hunting, some aren't Some also only allow it outside marine park.

I'm going to be dive operator agnostic and not mention any names but recommend it's best to check with your operator first. There are many that have no problem with hunting or will even organize lionfish hunting trips up north or far south reefs.

I too also use a zookeeper on dedicated lionfish hunting trips however if I'm not expecting to spear lots of them or only on a normal trip, I take fish stringer that I can stuff into my pocket, less drag than me carrying a zookeeper around on every dive. I want to say they're like 5 bucks at Walmart or any store that carries fishing supplies. I take a bunch of them down with me when I go to Cozumel.
04300_001.jpg
These work well for ~10+ lionfish once you cut spines off. Of course, if you're going for quantity and efficiency it's a pain in the ass to take the time to cut spines off. I've been on dives where I wish I had my zookeeper and vice-versa, I've had my zookeeper and only got 2-3 or no lionfish.

Back
Top Bottom