How to sharpen paralyzer tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luscioman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been using a short pole spear to get lionfish with a paralyzer tip on it. Over the past year and getting about 200 lionfish the tips have dulled. I have tried to get it sharp again with a bench grinder but it is not easy. Any suggestions on this?

If it's really blunted bad you use a Dremel stone and work the shape back to a point. Then usually a long carbide hand file will let you sharpen the final sharp point. Most paralyzer tri-tip spears are not heat treated hardened. But I'd go very slow and don't let the tip get too hot when shaping them so they retain their hardness. I just use the hand file after shooting a several dozen lions and it touches up the point quickly.

Time for someone to invent a paralyzer tip sharpener, which keeps the Dremel tool at the correct angle. I am a complete moron when it comes to sharpening my spears, they all look like I shoot rocks with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom