Need a Private Charter for Lion Fish hunting, Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepRiser

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I'm in need of a private charter for a team of 4 experienced divers to take us out for a day in Key Largo and put us on some Lion Fish. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything helps Thanks!

Most of Key Largo operators go to the sanctuary areas. Also the more dove areas are kept pretty cleaned up unless you go deep. Usually can find lionfish on the deep ledges (drift dives) & deep wrecks. More areas to hunt south of Tavernier. I recommend contacting operators in Islamorada like Islamorada Dive Center.
Or north Key Largo, like Silent World who can take you to infrequently dove areas north, like in the Carysfort area. I hear they are thick up there.

Don't know when you are coming but the REEF Lionfish Derby's are always fun. Lionfish Derbies | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)
This one is in Key Largo 2015 Key Largo Lionfish Derby Information | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

Hi DeepRiser! If you are in the area on May 16th it is Florida's first Lionfish Removal and Awareness Day. Many of the local dive shops are dedicating one of their charters to lionfish hunting. Islamorada Dive Center in particular will have a full day charter for lionfish hunting. It is not a private charter but many of the spots Eric will take you to are not popular dive sites and will have a larger number of lionfish. REEF is hosting a Lionfish Removal and Awareness Day event at the Postcard Inn that same evening with lionfish tastings, dissections, and raffles if you are looking to get more involved.
Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 3.22.17 PM.jpg

Hi REEF HQ,

I'm actually asking because my team and I are going to join the REEF Lion Fish Derby in Key Largo on the 12th of September. We joined last year and had a great time, unfortunately we were a little disappointed in the service from the shop we chartered with last year so we were looking for other options. Do you guys do anything in Key Largo like in Islamorada with boats the teams can go out on with?

---------- Post added May 11th, 2015 at 12:19 PM ----------

Thanks mselenaous!

We're actually flying into Key Largo for the September REEF Lion Fish Derby. We participated last year and had a great time but were a little disappointed with the service of the shop we chartered through so we were looking for other options. Definitely will check Silent World and see what kind of gig they have going. Thanks for the Help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom