New to the game

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking about getting into spearfishing in Florida but don't know the rules and regulations to it and also don't know what type of gear I am going to need. If someone could help me out that would be great!:D

FishRules App is a good starting place. It'll give you the regs by location with links to the full regulations including Bahamas. Rules are different for inshore, Gulfside, offshore but if you are guessing it's best just not to pull the trigger. $500 seems to be a minimum for an "oops, my bad" and is in general just bad form. and as a note, just because it meets the minimum legal size doesn't mean it's really a good idea to harvest it

Fish Rules is a good app. FWC also has a good one. You can load your license in to the FWC app, so you might not need to carry with you.
The link below will take you to a summary of the FWC rules on spearing restrictions.
Spearing

For gear recommendations, location and diving conditions will help to provide better recommendations, as conditions will dictate the gear. A gun designed around hunting pelagics would be cumbersome for going after grouper. Likewise, a reef fish gun will not be adequate for some of the larger pelagics.

For hunting reef fish on scuba, you really can't go wrong with AB Biller/Seahornet/JBL, or even better Ocean Rhino. Those guns should be available in just about any dive shop. They are reliable and accurate. The Ocean Rhino has some improvements over the others, and are real popular on the West Coast of FL.

I'm in the same boat. I want to start spearing, something besides lionfish. I'm even open to pole spearing. The thing is, I'm not all that great with fish id and regulations. So I know the hog fish well and it's 12 inch size limit. I don't really have anyone to ask about other fish. I think I could ID a sheephead, but haven't seen once since I've been looking for one.

I'm interested on advice on commonly found fish which are easy to Id, besides the hog fish and sheephead.

It will come with time. I was in the same boat when I started. Had enough trouble identifying the common fish out of the water, I thought I'd never be able to identify them in the water when the colors are different.

You should be able to identify grouper, but identifying the individual species of grouper can be a challenge. Especially when you get to the lesser known grouper.

My advice to you is to watch lots of Spearfishing videos. Look for videos of different snapper (mangrove, mutton, etc.) different grouper, etc. Focus not only on the colorations, but also their behavior and movements.

Flounder and triggerfish are also pretty unmistakable.

Excellent advice,YouTube is priceless for learning techniques and gear selection. Species I'D can be as simple as finding the fish you want to target in the rules and then hitting up fishbase for pix and info.

The main difference in techniques are bottom fish like grouper,hog snapper etc...or pelagic like king,cobia,,aj etc....not matter the style of diving those two choices dictate most gear selection.

This reminded me of a video I have not seen in a long time. The Bare Bone's of Spearfishing from Kevin B. Not sure if you can get online but I know a lot of dive shops have them. Will sharpen your learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom