Used Speargun beware...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Descending

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anything I should be cautious of when buying a used speargun from someone?

Yes, if it's aluminium dissasemble it compleatly, see if the mechanism is worn, check if there is galvanic current damage near the head and handle parts of the barrel.

If it's wooden take out the mecanism and check it.

If it's carbon check for deep scratches, and check the mechanism.

Load all the bands to make sure the mech isn't worn out. Make sure barrel or wood isn't warped. The good news is, most of the guns used in our area are pretty bullet proof assuming they are less than 10 years old and reasonably cared for.

..The good news is, most of the guns used in our area are pretty bullet proof assuming they are less than 10 years old and reasonably cared for.

Great advice! IMHO it's really important to know both the person and how they dive their gear. I've seen LP95 tanks for sale at ridiculously low prices and are only 4yrs old. They have been always overfilled to 4400+ and would barely pass the next hydro a year after you bought them.

Same with spearguns. If someone is overloading the trigger with huge multiple bands putting incredible stress on a weak sear trigger, it could be a big problem. Most sear's are 3/16" thick, but some guns like Koah are 1/4" thick and stronger. A worn sear is incredibly dangerous.

Know your seller and how they dive/maintain their gear.

I've seen LP95 tanks for sale at ridiculously low prices and are only 4yrs old. They have been always overfilled to 4400+ and would barely pass the next hydro a year after you bought them.

You might want to see what's up with the fill stations in your area. I've seen LP Tanks in the cave country area that have been consistently overfilled for many years and still pass hydro just fine.

Check the wear on the mech sear, like others have mentioned. Also check the condition of the rubbers and wishbones... or just replace them as they are a "wear item". I replace mine every year.

I've seen LP95 tanks for sale at ridiculously low prices and are only 4yrs old. They have been always overfilled to 4400+ and would barely pass the next hydro a year after you bought them.

LP 95 tanks are absolutely not going to fail hydro after 4 years because of filling at 4400+. But I understand your point regarding other gear!

Back
Top Bottom