Beginner with questions, going to Exumas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison Ravi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm renting a catamaran with 7 other people from Nassau in January. We'll be sailing to the exumas and spend 2 weeks on the boat. I don't think we'll sail further south than Staniel Cay.

We all have at least some experience snorkeling, and a few of us good experience freediving, but no spearfishing.

What we gathered so far is that we are not allowed to use spearguns or scuba, only hawaiian slings or polespears freediving.

We decided to go with polespears, and we also have one hawaiian sling already included with the boat.

I read a lot and watched a lot of videos about pole spearfishing in the bahamas, ang got really excited about caching big fish. But now I just learned about Ciguatera :shocked2:

So what do you guys that spearfish there do? Do you eat the fish you catch? We don't want to fish for trophies, only to eat.

So I'm guessing only small fishs? Or is there "safe" and good to eat big fish species?

What lenght poles do you use? What kind of shaft tip?

If you have any tips for us beginners we'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks a lot!

I have dived the Exumas from a liveaboard and it was wonderful. We snorkeled with dolphins and dived on many beautiful tropical reefs and fish. I don't understand why you seem so eager to kill them?

Well, we are in the underwater hunting forum, and I like eating fish. I think spearfishing is the most ethic way of fishing, specially if it is for consumption and not for trophy.

I understand some people are 100% vegan but I'm not.

mmmm seafood. Im going out on Blackbeards in November so I will be interested I understand we will be doing a little deep sea fishing and lobstering ourselves.

I don't think we'll sail further south than Staniel Cay.
Don't miss the Pigs...

big_majors_019_scale.jpg

yes-pigs-swim.jpg

m_StanielCay011_zps1173cce7.jpg

They aren't swimming out for their health so a little snack would be appreciated. :wink:

I understand the food chain and the need for sustenance and I recognize that the things that happen in slaughter houses and fisheries are far from humane. But the thing that I don't get is that some people seem to take pleasure in stalking, terrorizing, and killing innocent creatures. I just don't see the fun in that.

I know that I am in the minority and that I am not going to change the opinions of others; but I hope that you don't have very good luck and that you won't be able to kill many of the beautiful creatures that live in the Exumas. Just my opinion.

Kathy V, I suggest you read the sticky in the top of the forum and stay out. This is not the place for you to pass judgement on fishermen. My guess is you're the typical hypocrite who orders that nice grouper sandwich on vacation or your various flavors of overpriced sushi at home to up your social status. Meanwhile completely oblivious to how that filet made it on to your plate. Move on. Start a thread somewhere else and complain about people catching fish.

You are correct, when I saw the post about the Exumas I didn't realize that it was about hunting; now I am glad to leave.

I understand the food chain and the need for sustenance and I recognize that the things that happen in slaughter houses and fisheries are far from humane. But the thing that I don't get is that some people seem to take pleasure in stalking, terrorizing, and killing innocent creatures. I just don't see the fun in that.

I know that I am in the minority and that I am not going to change the opinions of others; but I hope that you don't have very good luck and that you won't be able to kill many of the beautiful creatures that live in the Exumas. Just my opinion.
KathyV. I sympathize with your passion but the others are right, this is not the place for you. I don't think that you will find a bigger animal/creature lover then me but I am not a vegan and so I feel that if I can let someone do the killing for me it is a bit hypocritical to not be able to do it myself. And for what it is worth, remember that most of these innocent creature are themselves stalking, terrorizing and killing innocent creatures themselves.

Edit: you posted your followup while I was typing.

My apologies, when I saw the post about diving in the Exumas I thought "The Exumas, how cool!" but when I read the post I realized it was about hunting and my immediate reaction was "Why would anyone want to do that?"

But I didn't realize that this is a forum about hunting and that I don't belong here. I am not going to change the opinions of others and they are not going to change mine; but I recognize that it was inappropriate for me to intrude. Again I apologize and I will stop posting here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom