Spearfishing around the world - what's allowed and what's acceptable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Inspired by an attempted hijack of another thread, I thought it could be interesting to learn about regional differences in what's accepted or not, and what's legal or not, in different corners of the world.

I can start. Norway
  • Harvesting is generally accepted among the public, and I don't think there are legal limits on amounts. Scallop harvesting is very popular, and many scuba divers carry a catch bag "just in case"
  • Spearfishing is legal in salt water and generally accepted. Not legal in fresh water.
  • Spearguns are normally not used by scuba divers, but popular among freedivers.
  • The pole spear is the UW hunting tool chosen by scuba divers; I've never met a scuba diver with a speargun. I'm pretty convinced that this is for safety reasons. Even if I'm pretty comfortable with guns in general if they're handled correctly, I don't think I'd be comfortable buddying up with a guy carrying a speargun. Mental bandwidth and all that.
  • Spearguns must, AFAIK, be powered by rubber bands or pressurised air; powerheads are illegal

In the US spearfishing laws are regulated by the state and vary accordingly. Like in AZ it is only acceptable to spearfish Carp and Striped Bass. I tend not to mention on a dive boat that I am also a spearo as I tend to get nasty looks and sometimes comments. My favorite is "The only thing you should take is pictures", but that is a whole other discussion.

Illegal to take anything on Scuba in NSW Australia except a specified number of abalone of the right size in the right location. Spearing using scuba earns seizure of your gear, boat and possibly vehicle as well as fines. Spearos here have to be freediving.

I think they allow scuba divers to collect scollops in Victoria but again Spearing on Scuba isn't legal. I have been told that spear fishing on Scuba is illegal in all Australian states but I haven't seen the regs personally in all of them.

Australians overseas are often shocked to see people spearing on scuba. I've never been on a boat anywhere but in the US were there were spear fishermen on the same boat as scuba divers.

I'm pretty convinced that this is for safety reasons. Even if I'm pretty comfortable with guns in general if they're handled correctly, I don't think I'd be comfortable buddying up with a guy carrying a speargun. Mental bandwidth and all that.

Often times "buddies" end up just solo diving because they're off hunting different prey. I would equate it with underwater photography in its singular focus. Though teams can be very effective in dealing with sharks, the junkyard dogs of the underwater world.

I have no issues buddying up with someone who is competent in diving and using a speargun. That means they demonstrate good muzzle awareness and know when and when not to load the gun.

In FL you can use spearguns and scuba for most species of fish, but not rebreathers. Spearing on scuba is common enough, though some freedivers seem to look down on it, which seems silly to me. You can take lobsters on scuba as well, but not sure about other shellfish.

Quite a few Freedivers have always had an elitist attitude towards scuba spearos. I think it is sort of funny. I have some dive buddies that are afraid of the gun, some appalled by the hunting, and some that love filming. IMO Spearos and UW photogs make the worst dive buddies since they are task focused. I don't dive solo at all.

Often times "buddies" end up just solo diving because they're off hunting different prey. I would equate it with underwater photography in its singular focus.

IMO Spearos and UW photogs make the worst dive buddies since they are task focused.

That's just because some divers can't remember what their primary priority is. My regular buddy - my son - likes to hunt and carries a pole spear if it's appropriate for the site. I carry a camera unless I have a pretty darned good reason not to. We often dive in mediocre viz (normal summer viz around here is 5-8 meters), but we still haven't lost each other, and we always know where the other is. We're quite aware that our primary concern is to surface alive and in good shape, and not to lose our buddy.

You can take lobsters on scuba as well, but not sure about other shellfish.
That's one thing I forgot in the OP: Divers aren't allowed to take lobsters here. Other shellfish are fine, but not lobsters. If you're caught, the best you can hope for is a hefty fine (some 1000-1500 USD). Worst case, the police can actually confiscate all the gear you used to get those lobsters. Including your boat and your car.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I probably don't and won't hunt but i have no problem with people hunting as long as it's done responsibly.

As for local laws spearfishing is leagal everywhere except in and around the Buccoo reef area in tobago but i believe most spearos have a common understanding (regardless of freediving or scuba):

-Eat what you kill
-Don't spear lobsters
-Release lobsters with eggs

etc etc... i'm not a spearo so i don't know all of the code. I know alot of spearos however who got into scuba diving for the benefits of spearfishing on scuba (despites the obvious disadvantages)

Back
Top Bottom