Spearfishing in the Deleware river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburgert

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it legal to spearfish in the Delaware river at least for practice? Next year I want to start spearfishing and want to practice in the river before going to the ocean.

Is it legal to spearfish in the Delaware river at least for practice? Next year I want to start spearfishing and want to practice in the river before going to the ocean.
Nothing mechanically propelled is permitted, only hand held spears and tridents, and only for trash fish like suckers and catfish. No scuba. I suggest Delaware Bay.

I'd pass on that.

Stripers (rockfish) winter over in these waters. I could almost walk there from here, but no. Don't even think of it...

Delaware Bay and River Striped Bass

Excerpt:

Rules for fishing striped bass are under joint control of several states and the Federal government. ...//... A good safe rule to follow when you catch one of these magnificent fish is, take a picture and return it. The trouble is once you have eaten one, you will never want to throw it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom