Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: lobstering from shore in the keys

New User

Has not set a "status"

lobstering from shore in the keys

Hello all I am planning on taking my family to the Fl Keys for the mini season this month. My wife and I dive but our kids would like to try thier hand at lobstering. Is there anywhere to snorkel in the keys that has reefs in a depth and place that lobstering is allowed? ty

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    There was a time when that was true. People who moved to the keys swore off lobster after gorging themselves too many times. A diver could get a bag full right off the dock. The rules on spearfishing restrict access near shore. Don't know about bug rules. They have special seasons and regular seasons in Florida. Check out the hotels with docks on the north side, the sound. Sometimes there are bugs right under the hotel dock, or there used to be. Key West is overpopulated zoo. Getting bugs used to be easy under some of the govt docks (dolphin pens) but this is not a family adventure. They probably changed all those places to parks anyway. Try hotels or locations between Marathon and Key West.
    Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by gameaholic
    Hello all I am planning on taking my family to the Fl Keys for the mini season this month. My wife and I dive but our kids would like to try thier hand at lobstering. Is there anywhere to snorkel in the keys that has reefs in a depth and place that lobstering is allowed? ty

Registered

Has not set a "status"

If you can get on the military base, they have an excellent snorkeling area around the marina where I saw many lobster!!!

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

There are some bomb holes in the Spanish Harbor area (near Big Pine Key) that are no more than 10 feet deep. Of course, the amount of time it takes to catch a bug makes doing it snorkling a real challenge to do on a single breath. Good luck.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

lobstering within 300 yards of shore is now illegal in the keys, might wanna be careful doing something like that because FL Keys law enforcement does not play around.

New User

Has not set a "status"

UCF would you please put up the source of your no lobstering within 300 feet of shore

Registered

Has not set a "status"

no lobstering within 300feet of shore in monroe county

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaticassassin
    UCF would you please put up the source of your no lobstering within 300 feet of shore
    Ok I wasnt sure where i got it the first time so im just gonna post a link to an article in the sun sentinel which is the local south florida newspaper. if you scroll down to the bottom it will talk about Monroe Co. Sherriffs enforcing the new regulation prohibiting lobstering within 300feet from shore. This rule only applies in Monroe County. One wacko woman even decided to enforce the rule herself and fired a couple rounds at divers in the canal behind her house! I hope this helps, if not you may want to try the state or county
    websites?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...ports-outdoors