Spiny Lobster Hunting with Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
Is a trilam drysuit suitable for hunting spiny lobster in so. cal? I'm worried about getting punctured when I try to grab them. Anyone have opinions?

bober99:
Is a trilam drysuit suitable for hunting spiny lobster in so. cal? I'm worried about getting punctured when I try to grab them. Anyone have opinions?

As long as you have a decent suit, it doesn't matter what activity you are doing. My suits have been beat to S*** and have had no problems. Unless the lobsters are fighting back with ice picks and razors, you should be fine.

Catch a good one for me and ship it with dry ice.

bober99:

I have a TLS-350, but I wear a 7mm wetsuit when I hunt lobsters, here in So. Cal.

But I wouldn't hesitate to grab a legal-size bug while wearing my drysuit. I wear gauntlet-style gloves that cover my latex wrist seals (Sea-Soft gloves). The greater danger comes from urchins in the holes with the lobsters.

Large lobsters are another matter as a really big bug can easily puncture the trilam with its feet.

I dive in so. ca. with a wet suit and no hood why do you need a dry suit? Also if you are hunting for lobsters in so.ca. you are definately going to get into some urchins. So my advice is to lobster dive with a wet suit.

aquadon:
I dive in so. ca. with a wet suit and no hood why do you need a dry suit? Also if you are hunting for lobsters in so.ca. you are definately going to get into some urchins. So my advice is to lobster dive with a wet suit.

Its COLD

Well, brisk might be a better word. Yesterday, right after 6 of us in 7 mil wet suits and one of us in a dry suit got out, a woman ran out of her condo, stark naked, and swam for 20 mins.

Made me feel like a wimp! :)

bober99:

I for one am a very active lobster diver and I have to say YES you will get holes from time to time from their spines.

I always have Aquaseal handy to patch the holes and usually have to change my seals every season or so.

2Big_lobster_002-med.jpg

Back
Top Bottom