Best way to clean shells

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redleg02

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a couple of conch shells, and I recently brought up a helmet snail all of which have a lot of encrustations on the outside. I know that bleach will clean them, but the conch that i have seen cleaned thta way seem to loose some of their color. The helmet snail seems to have a lot of color, and I really dont want to risk losing it in a too strong of solution. What is the best way to clean the shells without losing the brilliant colors, and how do i maintain the colors?

Thanks

Buffing wheel on a drill press.

Normally you keep the "encrustations", as they're fascinating organisms in their own right. They're also bloody difficult to remove, as many have cemented down and/or bored down into the shell itself.

With the soft bryozoans, algae, and biofilms, use a toothbrush and warm, soapy water. Scrub vigorously. Stay away from steel wool or any metal brushes, as they will streak the shell.

Some cemented fauna (barnacles) can be removed by picking at their bases with a strong metal probe (or a fork). The other stuff is more difficult, and falls within the realm of the dental drill.

To maintain and heighten shell colours, after cleaning apply a coat of clear varnish. This also protects and seals the shell.

Back
Top Bottom