home-made lobster snare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I found this site looking for the answer to the following question:

How do I make my own lobster snare out of cheap materials?

I have read that they are very easy to make, so I was wondering if anyone had a link to complete directions or design notes which I could view.

This topic had surfaced before in another thread, but I never saw a "how-to" link or plans.

I KNOW that I can buy one, probably really cheap from e-bay, but I want to MAKE one!

Please keep the materials simple if possible, as we are very limited in what is available here on St. Croix.

The seas are just calming down after two weeks of turbulance, so I might want to get this going soon if a viz window opens up.

THANKS!

I used to use some fishing leader cable and a peice of 3/4" PVC pipe. make a big loop and thread it through the pipe then pin the ends so loop is now captive and has two loops one at each end. caught lots of grouper this way too. works great fo getting a bag of sea snakes :D

I would like to hear some of the creative lobster snares that people have made themselves. I am tired of buying a $40.00 snare (The good green one)(and because I like to lose those on dives). I would like to make my own but I would need some help from the SB'ers on how to do that successfully. Thanks for all the help.

Amphibious:
I used to use some fishing leader cable and a peice of 3/4" PVC pipe. make a big loop and thread it through the pipe then pin the ends so loop is now captive and has two loops one at each end. caught lots of grouper this way too. works great fo getting a bag of sea snakes :D

Thanks for the idea, that sounds great!

I considered a similar design last year, but when I told an old salty bug-snatcher, he told me that I would need a "one-handed" snare, because here in St. Croix the lobter reef areas are often very turbulent and one finds himself using another hand to avoid the fire coral.

So I made one, out of a bamboo pole with leader cable attached to the end figured in a loop with a "slipnot" arrangement that would tighten on the bug with a one-armed tug.

But it didn't work too well. The bouyancy of the bamboo made it a little tricky, as it aways wanted to rise. Then the loop lost its shape after I missed a bug and it got caught on some coral and then some rocks. I had to very careful not to damage the coral, and since it was fire coral I had to be extra careful not to damage myself. It took me so much effort to free it that I let go of the shaft and then ZIP... the shallow water current took it away into the coral beds. I never could find the thing.

Of course, the next day, I saw the largest lobster I've ever seen in my life, but alas, with no snare to reach him I could only laugh through my reg at myself.

Anybody more designs/ideas anyone?

thanks!

We use a curtain rod. They are curved and we get behiend the bug and coax him from his cave in the rocks. Legal too.
Tha Wookie:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I found this site looking for the answer to the following question:

How do I make my own lobster snare out of cheap materials?

I have read that they are very easy to make, so I was wondering if anyone had a link to complete directions or design notes which I could view.

This topic had surfaced before in another thread, but I never saw a "how-to" link or plans.

I KNOW that I can buy one, probably really cheap from e-bay, but I want to MAKE one!

Please keep the materials simple if possible, as we are very limited in what is available here on St. Croix.

The seas are just calming down after two weeks of turbulance, so I might want to get this going soon if a viz window opens up.

THANKS!

joed:
We use a curtain rod. They are curved and we get behiend the bug and coax him from his cave in the rocks. Legal too.

A tickle stick :D those work great!

Weed whacker line is a good source of heavy monofilament for the loop

I know weed whacker line can be used, but not the square kind; has to be the round style, at least in Florida.

I use 3/4” pvc pipe with 1/8” to 1/4” rubber coated steel cable and duct tape.
Cut the pvc pipe to the length that you would like (I usually do about 5’), then drill a hole about 1” up from the opening on one end to the size of the cable that you are using through both sides of the pvc directly in line with each other, the best way is to just run the drill bit all the way through. Run the cable through the pvc till it comes out the other end, the end with the hole you drilled will loop back in to the holes drilled. Fold a little bit of the cable over after it is out of the hold and duct tape it so it can no longer go back out the hole. This will create the end for the lobster. On the other end that is sticking out, just fold it over and duct tape it to create a handle. It is that simple and cheap.

I will try to find mine and take some pictures. That will probably be easier than following my description.

Back
Top Bottom