Sea & Sea DX-8000G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody using one of these?

Very little shutter lag and a fairly short (2 sec or so) duration between shots caught my eye. Anybody have a list of the bad that would go along with the good?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jeff

Way way to much money (over $1,000, you can buy two Canon A95's and UW housings for that price), non-replacable cameras when it floods, and a sub-standard camera. There are more but that off the top of my head.

Well I personally think the Sea & Sea cameras (DX5000 or DX8000) are excellent cameras. I use them with all of my entry level students. I think the photos they take are far superior to many of those P&S cameras & housings. The housing for the DX8000 is much more durable than the camera manufacturer's housings (Canon, Olympus, etc.). The lack of shutter lag is far superior to that of the P&S cameras on the market. Although it is slightly more expensive, I feel it is an excellent entry level camera and I highly recommend it. If you have any specific questions, feel free to send it over.

I have the DX5000G, I rented the DX3000 for several years and decided to buy. The 8000 of course comes out just a few months after I get the 5000, but that's technology for you! no regrets though, I love this little camera!!!

It does very well both above and below water. all the pics on my gallery from the 2005 Cozumel trip were taken with it. All other underwater pics on the gallery were taken with the 3000, both cameras perform very well and are easy to learn and use underwater. Small and easy to handle as well.

From what I understand the 8000 is pretty much the same camera other than the higher pixel rate. I haven't seen the specs on it yet as Sea & Sea hasn't put the camera on it's website for some reason. I do know the housings for the 5 & 8 are interchangeable so the buttons must be the same. that's what makes me think the cameras are pretty much the same.

I purchased mine thru Island Photo and Video, on Cozumel (see link below), and got what I think is called the "Island Package" for $2000, this included camera, housing, ys-25 lighting package, pelican case, wide angle lens, 2 o-ring sets & 2 sinc cords and the price also included shipping and handling to my door. I don't know how much more the 8 is than the 5, but from pricing my package other places I saved at least $300 over them.

In my opinion, if your looking for a good high quality point-n-shoot underwater camera with some manual functions, this is the way to go. the learning curve is not nearly as big as it is with a SLR and you will get much more proficient faster with it.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Sea & Sea DX-8000G set with YS-25 strobe and extra Rings from Ebay for a reasonable price. I did read lot of good stuff about this little cam and I am curios to take it for a dive.
However as I have understood the cam will take a max of 2 GB SD Card and this is not a lot by the 2015 standards, so my question is there a 3th party cam I could use with the case? Any help will be welcome. I will be diving in Egypt begin of March 2015.
Best Regards,
Octav

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom