bayonet mount vs. 67 mm screw-on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phillybob

Contributor
Reaction score
what are your opinions of the bayonet mount vs. 67 mm screw-on mount for inon wide angle and macro lenses? i'm looking to add both of these to my ikelite housing (cp7900). i would think the 67 mm is more secure but the bayonet is easier to swap lenses underwater. anyone have any experience with these ?

phillybob:
what are your opinions of the bayonet mount vs. 67 mm screw-on mount for inon wide angle and macro lenses? i'm looking to add both of these to my ikelite housing (cp7900). i would think the 67 mm is more secure but the bayonet is easier to swap lenses underwater. anyone have any experience with these ?

I've used both, and I have to say, if you're careful with the bayonet (and/or use a tether/leash system), whenever there's a choice I'll take the bayonet. No risk of cross-threading, can switch off on the fly more quickly, smaller/lighter and for the rigs where the Inon bayonet is available, it's the more appropriate optical size.

When I switched from my old Oly rig to my new Fuji, sold my 67mm on the advice of my camera pro and I've thanked him several times for the recommendation.

BurBunny:
When I switched from my old Oly rig to my new Fuji, sold my 67mm on the advice of my camera pro and I've thanked him several times for the recommendation.

opticly speaking, the inon uwl-100 28 AD (bayonet) and uwl-100 type II (67mm screw-on) should be about the same. unless i'm missing something (and that happens pretty often), it's only the mounting system that's different. what lens did you switch to? thanks for the reply

- bob -

phillybob:
opticly speaking, the inon uwl-100 28 AD (bayonet) and uwl-100 type II (67mm screw-on) should be about the same. unless i'm missing something (and that happens pretty often), it's only the mounting system that's different. what lens did you switch to? thanks for the reply

- bob -

Bob, I went with the UWL-105 AD, which is the one designed for the cameras such as the Fuji F-810 with a smaller lens diameter. The UWL-100 is MUCH larger, with a larger diameter. I was told that the edges on it with a camera such as the Fuji in an Ike housing will not be what I want.

Talk with someone like Ryan at www.ReefPhoto.com to see which one is a better fit for your camera.

But I still would opt for a bayonet over a 67mm if available - the ease is worth it.

BurBunny:
I was told that the edges on it with a camera such as the Fuji in an Ike housing will not be what I want.

ahh, the vignette problem. i've read about that, now that i think about it. now i understand. i was going to look into reef photo to begin with so your recommendation makes me feel even better. i've looked at thier website but i've never bought from these guys before. i've got a little more researching to do on this but your posts have really helped. thanks a ton.

-bob-

Unfortunately, not all housings can take the bayonet mount (as far as I know, you would need an adapter, which will change the optics again). For Ikelite, the default is 67mm and I don't think they make one with bayonet.

Wolverine:
Unfortunately, not all housings can take the bayonet mount (as far as I know, you would need an adapter, which will change the optics again). For Ikelite, the default is 67mm and I don't think they make one with bayonet.

according to ikes web site, my housing (cp7900) is able to take both screw-on and bayonet using the respective inon adapter. lucky me. i'm thinking of the screw-on because that will allow me to stack macro lenses, something i'd like to do eventually. it's giving up a little convenience for a little more versatility. i see you have duel macro lenses. i assume you stack them, how well does that work?

phillybob:
according to ikes web site, my housing (cp7900) is able to take both screw-on and bayonet using the respective inon adapter. lucky me. i'm thinking of the screw-on because that will allow me to stack macro lenses, something i'd like to do eventually. it's giving up a little convenience for a little more versatility. i see you have duel macro lenses. i assume you stack them, how well does that work?

quite well actually. I get supermacro shots without having to get as close as supermacro focusing distance. There is a separate thread where a few of the forum members posted pics using stacked lenses.

Having had bayonet mounts on my old S&S rig and the 67mm thread mounts on the current Oly rig, I can say I prefer the bayonet mount for ease of use. Much quicker to change UW and a very strudy connection. Since I didn't have a choice with my PT-15 I've gotten used to the thread mounts. It does take a bit more dexterity to get the threads started but once tightened it's sturdy. I've added alighments marks on both lens barrel and lenses to make it lots easier to get the threads started. And like you mentioned, if you want to stack macro lenses you have to have the threads.

Dee:
And like you mentioned, if you want to stack macro lenses you have to have the threads.

Not exactly. The Inon AD-165 bayonet macro lenses (which are the ones which properly fit the Ike housing you're looking at as I recall) can be double stacked. Was using them that way two weeks ago in Turks & Caicos :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom