Weedy Sea Dragon from Jervis Bay, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
I had a chance to dive Jervis Bay Marine Park which is 2 1/2 hour drive south of Sydney. I hadn't been there in quite a few years and hadn't had a chance since I returned to Australia last year.This was also the first time with a camera.

Well the water was cold (about 12C or about 53F), but the visibility was great and the critters I was there to see were out. I love my drysuit.

Critters included this wonderfully colored Weedy Sea Dragon. Weedies are pretty common in the colder waters of Australia and can be seen all the way around the southern coast - their cousins the Leafy Sea Dragon can only be found in one or two areas (specifically Kangaroo Island, Tasmania and a little bit of South Australia)

2005-08-22-10-46-41.jpg

What I think people don't realise is that Sea Dragons are not small - this one is right about a foot in size, which makes it about average size. You'd also think they are easy to see underwater with this coloring - they are not. Until you shine some light on them to see the colors, they appear pretty drab underwater.

Nikon D2X, ASA100, 60mm Nikon lens, F11, 1/125, dual Inon Strobes (-2/-2)

Enjoy,
M

What an interesting little bugger :D I can definately see how it got its name!

If anyone is diving in Sydney, dive Kurnell and you will see anything from 2 to 20 of these critters.... just watch the kelp and then you will see them

nice shot!

very nice as expected marriard! you have all the luck spotting those creatures

I really have to stop being lazy when I'm in Sydney and dive, these are amazing creatures!

cool, unfortunately with 12C water, I think I am allergic.
At least somebody is brave enough to jump in the water to take nice pictures :)

ssra30:
cool, unfortunately with 12C water, I think I am allergic.
At least somebody is brave enough to jump in the water to take nice pictures :)
Kurnell last weekend, 18decC and rising because summer is coming - and plenty of sea dragons... come on over

almitywife:
Kurnell last weekend, 18decC and rising because summer is coming - and plenty of sea dragons... come on over

Let me know when it hits 29C :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom